1 ❀ Ex Runner

Newt watched the runners leave the Glade with a sense of relief. Now his leg was damaged he no longer had to perform his runner duties, and he hoped that it would stay that way for as long as he could get away with it. He resumed his peaceful chopping of a tree trunk for the builders. The leg was a good excuse...a good excuse to avoid what was out THERE, the THINGS out -

"Nice work." A friendly voice interrupted his thoughts. The voice belonged to Alby, leader of the Glade.

"Thanks! Oh and just so you know, it's not as easy as it bloody well looks." They exchanged amused smiles as Newt lifted the axe to take another swing.

"How's the leg?"

Shuck.

Newt knew it was only a matter of time before Alby would send him out again. As soon as his bloody leg healed... He shook the thought from his head. The thought of chopping his other leg off with the axe in his hand came far to quickly and easily to his mind. The mind he now thought he might be losing.

"Still bad," he stiffly replied, swinging his axe to smash the block of tree.

"How long has it been again? Since..."

"Six months. I think."

"Newt...I know it must be hard for you..."

Newt couldn't help but sigh. Alby didn't understand. He did not mind his lameness. He enjoyed the mundane jobs now. The novelty of being a runner had...how could he put it? Worn off - considerably. He had no desire to walk without a limp. He had no desire to get better. He wanted this.

"...but...we have to face facts."

Newt's heart sank. He had already tasted the words Alby was forming. He was going to tell him the Med-jack news. His leg was healing. He would return to the maze.

"Your leg is not going to heal."

Newt jumped. He faced Alby now, eyes wide and eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"It's not what you'll want to hear but you're right. It has been six months. Clint tells me it would have healed by now. I mean, well, it has healed...but -" He paused.

"Go on."

Alby sighed, "- but you'll always have that limp. I'm so sorry Newt. You'll never be a runner again, ever."

Relief overwhelmed Newt. It was like a wave of it had smashed into him and now he was reeling from the impact. He tried his best not to show it, "It's alright, really."

It was almost amusing to Newt how Alby thought he was lying to cover up some secret longing for the maze. Alby was now opening his mouth to give some words of comfort before being interrupted by the sound of the supply lift.

"Ah well, if there's a new greenie in that box, looking after him might at least keep you occupied," Alby laughed.

Newt shook his head with a wide grin. "I told you Alby, it's not like I'm taking a holiday! And I'm pretty busy as you can see. Chopping wood is bloody hard!"