Chapter 25

ShuYan couldn't understand. Why? How had everything changed in those years?

ShuYan longed to be by RuJin's side once more, but he knew that the rift between them has long divided. That didn't ease the aching in his heart as he was forced to watch RuJin leave.

If only he was able to protect him, to stand by his promise, he would still be by RuJin's side just like before.

He didn't know. He didn't know what had happened, he couldn't get there in time to protect RuJin and his family.

When he had gotten out of seclusion, hearing the news that his town had been tainted by dark energy, he couldn't believe it. He remembered being so worried, so scared that he was going to lose RuJin. By the time he had arrived back in their small village, it was too late.

The village was filled with bodies, blood flowed, and some houses were left burnt. He found RuJin's mother and little sister laying next to each other. His heart tore, and he cried as he held their bodies. Why couldn't he be stronger?

He built a grave for both of them, and searched for the hint of RuJin's body. When ShuYan wasn't able to, he was left devastated. Maybe he was dead, maybe he was able to escape. But even so, ShuYan wanted to see RuJin's face once more.

To see that bright smile, hear his joyful voice, and know that he was still alive, still safe. He wanted to be able to protect RuJin this time, to go through everything together. That was why he decided to become a cultivator. He wanted to be strong yet he wasn't even able to.

Now, seeing him once more, the desire to protect and be by his side hasn't fade. Even though RuJin was now someone feared, someone evil in other's eyes, to ShuYan, he would always be that same person he knew.

It didn't matter if he was now cold, indifferent. Even if RuJin hated him, that was ok. He still wanted to be by RuJin's side, just like before.

ShuYan clenched his fist, emotions running wild in his eyes. He needed to find out RuJin's location. He needed to tell RuJin that reason why he wasn't able to fulfill his promise. Even though ShuYan knew that he was to blame for everything,

If he had gotten there, if he had arrived, everything would've been different. But it was because of him, that things turned out this way. It was because he was too naive, believing that the sects were righteous.

ShuYan sighed deeply, looked towards the direction that RuJin had disappeared, and quietly walked away. They would meet again, he was sure of this.

RuJin returned back to his hidden palace, hurriedly discarding the clothes that he wore, not wanting ShuYan's touch to remain.

Why? Why did he appear now?

Everything was going so well. If ShuYan never appeared in his plans, he would be able to get revenge. He had already gotten everything ready, he just needed one more thing and he would've been able to continue.

He had finally took out the little pieces of feelings that he held for ShuYan. Just why did he have to appear once more?

He wasn't too careful with his planning. He hadn't even thought about the possibility of ShuYan appearing again.

This was his mistake. How could he have thought that ShuYan would forget him? He had disappear for so long. Even though he may have changed, he still understood ShuYan. He knew that ShuYan wasn't someone who would give up so easily.

But, he himself, was also stubborn. The relationship that the two of them had have, can they ever return to it? To the time where they were both still young and naive, not yet understanding how cruel the world really was.

It is scary. Leaving behind your youth and venturing to the real world, the world that you have been shielded from for so long. But this will all be destroyed by the thing call reality.

Every single night, RuJin would still dream of his beautiful mother, the only one who he had known as a parent. His cute younger sister would appear, tightly holding onto his hands. Every night, it was as if they visited him in their spirits, as if they were still by his side. But every day, he would wake up only to realize that they weren't here, that they would never be here.

All because of those people. Everything was because of them. If they hadn't done such things, maybe now, maybe now RuJin wouldn't be who he was. Maybe he would still be that same loving boy, still call out to his mother and sister, and most of all, still be by ShuYan, just like in the past.

Yet, a small piece of him still couldn't help but resent ShuYan. Resent him because of all that he had lost. And even though RuJin knew it wasn't ShuYan's fault, he couldn't help it.

And so he built up this wall, this wall that would forever shield him from getting hurt again, from getting close to someone. Because they would all die, one way or another, they will. He will always lose those he cares for, those he loves.

It hurts to lose someone you love. It hurts so much, words can't describe this feeling.

To be cold, frowned upon on, feared, this was all better. He was now powerful, nobody can ever be hurt because of him once more.

It is better to never experience pain, because this can cause a wound that will never heal. A wound that will always hurt, no matter what season, no matter how much time passes.

RuJin sat on his bed, his eyes flickering as he bitterly smiled. He got up unsteadily, knocking over the locked box by his bedside. RuJin took a look at what it was before freezing, his body cold.

There, laying on the ground, was a small delicately carved pendant.

"Here, RuJin, take this." A small ShuYan told RuJin as he pushed an object into his hand.

"Huh? What is this?" RuJin replied, turning his head to the side as he carefully looked over the pendant.

"I carved that pendant myself. It would've been better had I have had more time, but, your birthday was today so I had to rush it." ShuYan said, lightly blushing as he looked away from RuJin's eyes.

After examining it, RuJin knew what the carving was. A dragon surrounded by flames of fire, raising its head as it roared.

"Wow! It looks so cool, thanks for the gift." RuJin said, his face all lit up as he smiled towards ShuYan.

A silence descended upon the two of them.

ShuYan touched his nose with his finger, his ears a shade of red, before he opened his mouth.

"RuJin, when I get strong enough, I promise to protect you. And on that day where I believe I'm strong enough, I will ask of something from you. So keep that pendant, because on that day when I ask for that favor, you won't be able to refuse it. Since you hold that pendant of mine, you are off limit." ShuYan said, his voice becoming determined, and he looked towards RuJin.

"Sure. I promise to keep this pendant for as long as I live." The young RuJin said, not understanding what ShuYan meant.

"You must remember you words. Because when that day comes, I won't let you go free."