The Second Vault

Antares

Gods blast it was the first thought that ran through my mind as the Bridjiine floated casually into the room, and then, very uncasually and very angrily, announced that our lives depended on whether or not Eternity picked up a key.

"Alright," said Eternity, slowly moving her hand away from the shimmering blue key. Glancing around the room, I gauged the others' reactions as best I could. Elder looked pretty much the same as he always did - scared and surprised - so not much change there; Eternity looked calm (More or less); Rynn looked... well, outraged; and Seraph looked grave and determined. As for myself, I was fairly sure I looked highly nervous as I attempted to soundlessly cycle the aetherpistol gripped within my hands.

The Bridjiine's burning gaze examined us, sweeping and searching as she looked from person to person. "You three are new," she observed, jabbing three fingers at Rynn, Seraph and I. "Where did you come from?"

No one spoke, likely for fear of setting off a tantrum of fiery bombs.

The Bridjiine's eyes hardened. The flames that surrounded her began to pull toward Eternity, eagerly outstretching like a thousand comet trails of flames and wrath. "Tell me now," she snarled. "Or the Hyperian dies."

Cyan flashed at the back of the tunnel, and Daedalus stepped from nothing. He raised one hand, and a gyrosphere of blue light flared into existence above it. "Enough, Qiia! They found the key, by right they are allowed to claim it!"

The Bridjiine - who it occured to me I had not known the name of until now - whirled to face Daedalus. "If they take that key, this vault is over. If this is to be my last battle, why shouldn't I fight with whatever strength is left within me?"

Daedalus gritted his teeth. "Qiia," he said, his voice carefully controlled, to not show the anger that I knew lay just beneath the surface. "That was not the deal. Stand down."

Qiia pouted. "Fine," she said irately. She snapped her fingers, and the room darkened as her fiery presence dissipated.

"I am... sorry... about her," Daedalus said, brightening as he turned away from where the Bridjiine had floated and toward us. "Qiia is... powerful, but reckless. Arrogant. And... how do you say it? Whiny." the word sounded unfamiliar on his lips, as if he didn't use such descriptors very often. "Setella and Agatoe had no such problems. Setella is angered easily, but truly believes in her Guardianship, while Qiia eventually came to see it as a chore. A burden. Even a prison. Agatoe thought of the endless dark of the Height to be a good place to meditate and rise above the chaos of lightning, to channel his power and reach oneness. He was quiet and calm, whereas Qiia was loud and angry. Perhaps she will be better for it when this Vault is no more." he smiled and approached us. "Seraph Joy Everwish; Rynn Shiara Sunstreak; Antares Vholka Whitewater; Eternity Alisyn Timewind; and Eldernova Spectria Starfall..." with a grand flourish, both of the keys appeared in his hands before crumbling into nothing. In their place, heralded by a flash of blue, materialized a longer, more angular key with complete designs - one identical to the Key shown on the Starfinders' Site. He held it out to us and smiled widely. "You have earned your prize. Step forward, and claim the Key to the Paradise Navigator."

.     .     .

Eternity

I waved the Screen away and stepped forward, walking around the edge of the Trove and staring wide-eyed at Daedalus. "Seriously? That's it?"

Daedalus grinned. "Sorry, did you want me to make it harder for you?" he joked, startling me. Somehow I hadn't pegged him as a person who would make light of... well, anything. Especially from the way he spoke; no usage of contractions and complex vocabulary. "No, this is truly the end, Sentinel. This is the Paradise Key."