3- A Nice Wake-up Call

Noah's Wolf->>>>

I woke up to a harsh banging on my door.

 I bolted straight up in my bed, looking around. I forgot where I was until I recognized the gray walls and the fact I was freezing. I looked out my window to see the sun was coming up and it was mid-dawn. I yawned wondering what could have woken me up so early, then I heard then banging again. I jumped out of bed and ran to open the door, only to see the head mistress looking down at me with a cross face.

“young lady, do you have any idea what time it is?” she asked in an icy voice that sent a shiver down my spine. “Ummm” I tried to think, still half asleep. How am I supposed to know what time it is? I don’t have a clock! I thought, my mind racing trying to find an answer. “No, head mistress.” I finally said. She frowned, “It’s 6:40am. You were supposed to awake more than an hour ago. What is your excuse?” she snapped impatiently. “I’m sorry head mistress, I have no way of telling what time it is. I’m very sorry I was not awake earlier.” I apologized looking at the floor, I looked into her eyes realizing in broke one of the rules a moment too late.

I felt a sharp ‘CRACK’ on my face and my eyes stung with fresh tears. My hands instantly flew up to my face where it had just been smacked. Her hand grabbed my chin and yanked it upwards lining my face up with hers. “You will NOT show ME disrespect young lady, I made that very clear before. I let you off light this time but next time, you will get a full punishment.” She hissed. When I said nothing, she pinched my face harder. “Yes, head mistress” I choked out.

Satisfied, she dropped my head from her hand and I fell to the floor. I saw her heels as she walked back down the hall. “you have 5 minutes, then you will be escorted from your room to the door.” She said closing the hall door behind her. I stood up and went back into my room, falling against the door as it closed. I took my hands off my face, and quickly got dressed in my black yoga pants and pick t-shirt. (since they were the only things I COULD wear) I brushed my hair out and brushed my teeth using the cup of water I found on my dresser. Gross, but effective.

Just as I was sliding on my loafers the door opened and a nun walked in. She wasn’t the head mistress, but something about her demanded respect. “The head mistress was more than gracious to you after complaining AND disrespecting her. You should be ashamed, let’s go.” She snapped as she turned on her heel and walked out the door. I followed doing my best to be respectful. Even though this place was pretty, the lady who dropped me off here was right, It’s not as nice as it seemed.

***

We reached the dining hall and the nun told me to sit and eat before I left for school. When I sat down I was relieved to see just a plain bowl of oatmeal in front of me. Gracious for my non-meat breakfast, I took a big spoon full. I named all the tastes in my head as they hit my tongue. Mmm apple, banana, and….EWW WHAT IS THAT?? I pulled something long and gooey out of my mouth. When I saw what it was I spit out the food in my mouth and stared at my hand. There pinched between my fingers was a long, pink, slimy worm. And it was still wiggling.

UGH! I yelled and dropped the worm into my food. A few girls that were sitting away from me looked over and giggled. One of them even winked at me. ‘THEY DID IT! THEY PUT THE WORM IN YOUR FOOD!’ My conscious screamed at me. I looked over at them and shot daggers with my eyes. Of course the head mistress chooses that, of all times to come up to me.

“What’s going on here?” she questioned, looking from me to the girls down the table. Before I could get a word out about how they put a worm in my food, she rushed over and looked them all over with concerned eyes. “Are you girls alright? I wouldn’t want anything to happen to you,” she shot a look over at me. “Young lady apologize right now.” I stared at her. “But- head mistress…” I protested. A loud bell interrupted what I was about to say, and I found a big black satchel with the orphanage logo embroided on it.

I was practically thrown out the door. “Here are all your books for school,” she pinned what looked like the orphanage logo onto my chest over my heart. “You keep this on at all times the school is down this street, you will walk into the office, receive your schedule and go about with your day. Misbehavior will NOT be tolerated and the school already knows about your ‘condition’” She smirked at the word condition. I was about to ask her what she meant but I was promptly shoved down the side walk almost falling and turned to see the door slam in my face. Looks like I was walking to school alone. Go figure.