Prolouge

*Rewritten 4/13/2020*

The bright, photo-filled walls of Southern Point Orphanage had been the only home I'd known until the tender age of 7. The 8 small residents had spent years growing up together, almost as if we were our own little discombobulated family. We had played dolls together, learned to braid together, and even survived the hatching of a very intimidating spider's nest in the bathroom together. Above anyone else at Southern Point, was my very best friend, Macey. While we all had gotten along, my heart holds a special place for Macey, as she had been left the same way I was, those few years ago. We did our best to be family, and fill the void that our parents had left in our little hearts. One particular day while we colored each other's nails with markers, we made a promise. Small pinkies interlocked, we swore that when we were finally adopted that we would call every single day, and be the best of friends forever.

Unfortunately, life isn't all that a 7-year-old makeshift princess dreams it will be.

It was your typical depressing Tuesday. Raining, wind battering the windows, the whole scene. There was a family coming in that had passed the home and background checks, ready to meet the child they had decided would go home with them. The couple that walked in that afternoon was dressed in what -at the time- looked like clothes you'd wear to a wedding: A long fancy dress with pearls, dress pants, and a buttoned-up shirt. We weren't used to seeing adults dressed like that every day, much less a girl the same age as us. I remember their daughter having on this enormous blue bow and a really warm looking sweater. Compared to the standard brown and yellow dresses we had been given to wear, she looked every part the princess she was.

Standing next to each other was our normal routine. Giggling and tapping each other's toes was routine. The princess and her family adopting Macey and taking my best friend from me? That wasn't part of the plan. At first, Macey and I were so excited, hoping that one of us really had finally found the home and family that we had dreams about. One of the Caregivers was more than pleased to take Macey's hand from mine and escort her to another room with her new family in tow. The rest of us stayed in the room, some hoping they would change their mind and pick them instead. I was hoping they would change their mind for a different reason.

Close to an hour crept by, my little heart fluttering in my chest whenever a shadow passed by that door. When Macey finally emerged, her fingers were interlaced with the woman's, and the other girl's, a huge grin on her face. Paperwork in hand, Macey's adoption had been complete and for a reason, I didn't understand at the time, my heart sank.

I didn't actually get the chance to speak to my best friend until later on that evening, just before we were supposed to head to bed. Where her bed was normally messily thrown together and covered in drawings, Macey's belongings were crammed into a large brown backpack. Her hands were trying to shove a few more pieces of paper into the side pocket of the bag when I wandered over to her.

"Whatcha doin?" She turned and gave me a smile normally only grilled cheese and the promise of a fairy movie could get out of her.

"I'm packing up my things to move into my new room, silly. I get to go to my new home tonight! I'll be sharing a big room with THREE windows with Lilah. She and I will have the same size bed and I can go get new blankets and stuffies as soon as I want. I get an older brother, too, but he was at school today so I get to meet him later. But that's okay! I'm so excited Tee!" Her smiles were contagious, and soon we were bouncing around giggling, instead of packing Macey's life into a bag like two responsible 7-year-olds ought to be.

Other girls began pouring into the room to change for bed, and it began to hit me this would be the first night in my life without my best friend. I couldn't help the tears that welled up. "I'm gonna miss you... so so much Mace." It was the truth. I couldn't picture one single day, much less my entire life without her at my side.