@TheTemporaryWayfarer's Interview!

Start from the beginning

Aisha : In Shaa Allah sure. May Allah SWT succeed you in your intention. Āamîn.😊

When and where did your love of books reading/writing/storytelling come from?

Bushra : Long story cut short, my mom who started her career when I was eight introduced me to the world of books to keep me occupied when she was not around. I have been enchanted by the magic of words ever since.

Aisha : How long have you been writing?

Bushra : I have been writing from the time I was nine. It was poetry that flowed out first. Later, I caught on to the art of writing literary pieces and essays and stories in gradual time, Alhamdulillah.

Aisha : What kinds of writing do you do?

Bushra : I write poetry and essays, literary pieces and short stories and novels - basically anything that I find has substance, anything that I feel could be given my best shot.

Whatever be the case, whenever I write, I make sure that there is a purpose behind it. Of course there are occasional slip ups when I end up ranting in RoaNM but majority of the time I write stuff when I feel that there are issues that have to be addressed and things that need to be told. I write reality, for let's face it - no one wants to or likes to listen to advice unless they have gotten hit by life pretty hard. No one! But none can deny the fact that books and words have a way of putting things across; characters have a way of making people feel what they are feeling themselves, so I try my best to write realistic stories (or poetry or literary pieces) dealing with contemporary scenarios and issues.

I don't get scared to experiment either.

For example, 'Bordered' is set in twentieth century India. It is a short story that comes under historical fiction.

'Beyond the Horizon' which deals with the living conditions of Palestinians comes under contemporary, short story and new adult fiction.

'Shimmering Love' encompasses a bit of adventure, contemporary, romance, spiritual and new adult fiction.

'Tantalising Hopes' on the other hand would be leaning more towards romance and spiritual (inclusive of self discovery) fiction In Sha Allaah.

(While we are at it, 'From, Deep Within' is just the poetess inside me wanting her words to be heard and 'Recollections Of A Naughty Muslimah' contains hilarious moments, rants as well as intellectual pieces 😄)

So yeah, to sum it all, I am one of those who believe that there are no rules in writing, and by that I didn't mean about the grammar or the cliché part alright 😜. Paying attention to grammar and avoiding cliché plotlines is a must!

[Editor's Note ( writer_muslimah ) : Guys, listen to Bushra!]

Aisha : How does your book relate to your spiritual practice or other life path?

Bushra : SL has characters who are all a little bit of me. Everyone who knows me knows that each of them have inherited a trait of mine, but what they are not aware of is that while spinning the tale, I have inculcated a few good attributes too. Sometimes it had been intentional, other times it had occurred even without me being aware of it.

And as for my four girls, from their worries to their issues to their struggles, and even their desire of wanting to strengthen their Imaan - it is a polished version of the battles all of us girls go through.

Aisha : What were your goals and intentions in writing the book 'Shimmering Love' and how well do you feel you achieved them?

Bushra : I do not want to give any spoilers by telling it out aloud, but for any one who has read the entire book, the most important message I wanted to convey is very loud and clear.