(19)The Old Night

Start from the beginning

"Wh-" She moaned again with chapped lips and tried to sit-up, but her neck was still fragile. "What happened?"

I scooted closer, pressing her into my chest for support. Apate leaned back and rested her head against my collarbone. Nemesis smiled softly at her, "You kind of took one for the team."

Dolos snickered, but I knew he was just too relieved to see Apate awake and well; "Understatement of the year..."

Apate slapped him with a limp hand and tried to erase the small smile crawling up her mouth. She pressed her back into me and stared up; "Sorry for that."

"Hmm, trying to hit a Gorgon with your arrow while she's got you by your neck was really clever, Aps." I shook my head, but smiled anyway.

Apate coughed a bit and rubbed her throat. "Yeah, not doing that again..."

"Good idea." Nemesis laughed softly and Vikard quickly walked over, his eyes wide with relief. "Ah, she's awake good, good."

"I'm not in the mood." Apate whispered to me and grabbed one of my arms to shield her from him. He didn't catch the drift

He placed a flask of water next to her and smiled; "How are you feeling?"

"She's fine." Dolos said with a bite in his tone.

Vikard looked from one to the other until finally at me. His expression soured. "I thought you'd all be in a good mood. Guess not."

"Yeah, guess not." Nemesis scoffed and glared at him. I shot her a look to calm down. She shook her head and went back to focusing on the map of the lands, which she'd now placed on the ground.

Dolos leaned back and watched Vikard with cold eyes. I fixed him with an equally icy stare. Now was not the time for a battle of egos. "We're leaving at first light."

Vikard's frown moved up into a surprised smile; "Just like that?"

"Just like that." I pointed to Moros, who was standing in the tent hunched over some papers; "He's coming with us and we're taking one Gorgon."

Vikard stared at Moros a while, until I dropped my finger and his gaze snapped back to mine. He said nothing. Instead, the leader of the Pazári just stood up and nodded his head. Something was off.

I was prepared for moderate resistance, but as dawn broke and Shadow returned from his little hunting spree, we packed up, attached the one Gorgon to a wooden stretcher and left back to Tundra through my portal.

All while Vikard remained cross-armed and silent; just staring.

Yes, something was terribly off.

We arrived in Tundra with Moros and I carrying the stretcher through the portal

We arrived in Tundra with Moros and I carrying the stretcher through the portal. Having been flung through space, we were desperately trying to keep the Gorgon attached to the makeshift bed.