Chapter 30: Shattered World

Matthew's Point of View

Kaylie had the day off, but I had to go to set for the afternoon to shoot a few scenes to wrap up this episode. The season is going well, Kaylie's character, Evelyn and Spencer end up falling for each other, it's a major plotline throughout the season. The writers have come up with some crazy cases for this season as well. I can't wait to see the fans' reactions this season. 

"Matthew!" I hear Thomas shout from across the lot. "You forgot your phone, and it's been ringing" He jogs over to me and hands me my phone. 

"Thanks" Thomas. The rest of the "team" enters the conference room stage, we're between takes, so I check my voicemail. 

"Mr. Gubler, this is Cheif Whitmer from the Pasadena Police Department, could please return my call as soon as possible. Thank You."

I immediately call Kaylie's cell. No answer. 

"I have to go, something is wrong. The chief from the police department called, Kaylie isn't answering her phone." I shout as I race off stage. I don't even bother getting out of wardrobe, I run to my trailer, grab my car keys, leaving the prop gun, and head for home. 
I pull into the driveway to see police cars and an ambulance. There is caution tape across my front door. I race towards the house, but I'm stopped by an officer. 

"I'm sorry sir, you can't go in there, this is an active crime scene," he says.

"This is my house, I have to get to my wife!" I shout trying to push past him. Another officer walks up to me.

"Mr. Gubler, I'm Chief Whitmer, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but your wife has been taken. Please come with me," he says. I stare at him in shock for a moment before racing through the front door, running room to room calling out Kaylie's name. 

She's gone.

Kaylie's Point of View

Matthew had to spend the afternoon on set, so I decided to check the mail and then hop in the hot tub, the warm water would help loosen my tight muscles. I change into a pair of athletic shorts and a tank top and slip on some sandals to walk out to the mailbox. I've been feeling pretty good the past few days, less morning sickness at least. 

As I open the mailbox, I see a black Ford Expedition parked down the street, there's someone in the driver's seat. Stupid paparazzi trying to get a picture of the pregnant lady. Classy. I think to myself. All of a sudden the expedition speeds up next to me, the back door opens, a man in a mask jumps out and grabs me, I try to fight back, but I've been so weak for the past few months, it's no use, he places a cloth over my mouth and everything goes black. 

I wake up in a dark room, there is a small window towards the top of the ceiling, bars across the outside, a metal door with many locks on the opposite side of the room. I walk towards the door, only to be jolted backward, there is a chain around my ankle. There's nothing else in the room, just me and darkness. 

How long have I been here, I think to myself. I look down and cradle my stomach, my baby, I hope it's alright. Matthew, where is Matthew. Does he know I'm alive? Suddenly the metal door swings open, flooding the dimly lit room in bright light. A man wearing a mask walks in.

"Where's your dearest doctor now Evie? He hasn't found you yet, he gave up, he doesn't love you," the man says before tossing a bottle of water my way and leaving the room. I hear the locks click one by one. 

I am alone.

Matthew's Point of View

"It's been three days, why haven't you found her yet?" I scream at an agent. 

"Sir, please, I know this must be hard, but we are doing everything we can." the agent says to me

"Matt, come with me," Shemar says, placing a hand on my shoulder, he leads me to my living room. "They will find her, don't worry."

"It's been 3 days, we haven't heard anything from whoever took her, they have to leads, no suspects, no idea where she is or whether or not she's alive. Whether or not the baby is alive. We were supposed to have the 6 month check up today." I say beginning to sob. Kirsten and Paget walk in. 

"Hey sweetie, how you holding up?" asks Kirsten, just as an agent walks in holding an envelope.

"Sir, this was just delivered." He says handing me the envelope. I take it and open it as more agents fill the room. I read the letter aloud. 

Hello Dr. Reid, 
I'm guessing you want your precious Evie back. What a shame, a waste really. You chose her instead of someone who truly loves you. This ends when we began. Tick-tock. Time is running out. 

-XO

"Wait, who is Dr. Reid and Evie?" an agent asks.

"Our characters on the show we're on, Criminal Minds," I say.

"This psychopath thinks that you really are Dr. Spencer Reid and that Kaylie is Agent Evelyn Becker. He's delusional." Says David under his breath. 

"This ends WHEN we began," I say. "Guys I think he's talking about the episode we filmed last month, about the unsub who held his victims in the abandoned clock tower," AJ says.

"We need to know everything that happened in that episode," says the head agent. 

"Of course, we'll fill you in" Thomas and Paget say in unison. They head to the next room with the officer. 

"How would this guy have known about the episode. It hasn't even finished the editing process" asks Kirsten. 

"He must work on the lot," says David. 

"A black Ford Expedition. Kaylie kept saying she's been seeing one, parked outside, across the street from the set, when we go out. She saw a man with a camera in the front seat one time, after being paranoid for weeks, she thought it was just paparazzi. She started seeing it soon after began dating, I didn't think anything of it, lots of people drive that kind of car. They must have watched us the whole time, but Kaylie didn't start the show until after we were married. He just knew there was a woman in my life, he doesn't realize he's taken my wife!" We need to find her" I ramble on. 

"AJ goes to inform the agents of the information I had just shared.

I sit staring at the note. Time is running out. 

Kaylie.