Punches...
Kicks...
The comments from them...

What I would give to be anywhere but here.

"Connor, please."

Breathing heavily and clenching his hands as if to throw another punch, Connor didn't bother to look at me or anyone else before running off in the direction we came from.

That's when I noticed my arm was still out, and I started running.

"Y/N!" Zoe called out.

I spun back around, "Just wait for us, okay? Or go back to the house or something!" I yelled back before sprinting to where I knew for a fact he'd be.

•••

Gasping, I hauled myself over the metal fence, ignoring the edge that scraped my arm a little. I rushed to the door, desperate to be on the other side as I blocked out the merciless sun.

Throwing it open, I scanned the area while fumbling for my phone. As soon as the flashlight came on, I searched for the rooms that Connor had shown me.

I panted as I looked around every corner. "Connor!? CONNOR!?"

Soon, I found him sitting in the fetal position under some graffiti art. Shaking like him, I quickly raced over to where he was sitting.

Broken, vulnerable, torn.

"Hey," Again, I slowly reached out to him but didn't touch him. I couldn't. Connor seemed like he would shatter like glass.

His long sleeves covered his bruised up hands. His head lifted from his arms and when I met his tear stained face and eyes, there weren't words. There weren't words to describe it. To describe everything.

"Connor-"

"Why's it always me, huh?" he said with shaky breaths. Tears spilled out of his eyes with every breath. "Why's it gotta be me, or you, or Evan and Zoe? Why us, Y/N?"

My eyes shifted over to where his bruised collarbone was showing. "Connor, we need to get you cleaned up. You're a mess."

"You don't think I fucking know that? He's right. I'm fucking weak as hell." He laughed coldly through staggered breaths. "I don't need your help, Y/N." Connor slowly pulled his hand away from mine once I took it. "Just don't touch me and go."

"Wait, Connor, we can just get the other two and head back to the house."

"My god, you just never stop, huh?" Connor shook his head as he blinked away a tear. "Y/N L/N, you always gotta be there for everyone. That's cool about you, y'know?"

"What are you saying?" I leaned forward, trying to not pay attention to the ache in my chest.

"I'M HOPELESS, THAT'S WHAT I'M FUCKING SAYING!" Connor barked. His voice was strained. I wanted more than anything to just get back to the house. To get Zoe and Evan and order some food. To forget this ever happened. "You don't have to pick me up, Y/N, because I'm just gonna fall right back down. Don't waste your fucking time and go."

"Well, we wouldn't fucking be here if you hadn't gone ahead and started a rumble!" I blurted out to him. I drew a sharp breath as he squinted his eyes at me.

"So it's my fault, huh?"

"I never said it was! I just said that you didn't have to do that-"

"Are you defending them or some shit? What if he hurt you, Y/N? What the hell were you expecting? A nice and calm conversation over a cup of tea!? Are you saying I should've done nothing at all and just let him spit nasty ass shit from that mouth of his? About you, me, Zoe, and Evan?"

"NO! I'm just saying this didn't have to happen-"

"JUST GO!" He snapped at me. I choked back a sob. My knees started to ache too, so I lifted myself up. I kept my eyes on him as he dug his head back into his arms. His bruised, scarred, arms that were covered by dark long sleeves.

I saved the tears for outside.

•••

Wincing as the hot water trickled down my skin in the shower, I felt my body still shake. No, pink water didn't dramatically run to the drain like in movies. I never thought of an elaborate plan or some shit like in movies. In movies, the characters have some idea of what to do. They find a way to their happy ending.

My shower was quick and brisk. After changing into something more comfortable, I traveled downstairs to where Evan and Zoe sat in the living room. They turned their heads toward me.

Zoe stood up. "Y/N, where's Connor?"

"He's coming. He said he'll get back later."

"Y/N, are you okay?" She asked, stepping closer. "Do you like, need anything?"

I gulped. Whatever mask or facade I put on wasn't enough to hide everything. "It's fine. I'll just let you know of anything, okay?"

"You promise? That was a lot back there."

"I'll let you know, Zo." I assured her as she looked down at her hands. "I'm just gonna be outside."

"D-do you want anything to eat? We're uh, about to order something." Evan asked.

I shrugged as I unlocked the front door. "Anything's cool. Thanks guys." I softly smiled back at them thankfully as I stepped out and sat on the steps. A cool summer breeze rushed to and around me. I took a deep breath and exhaled, not knowing what was gonna happen next. Is the world gonna explode? Is someone else gonna get hurt?

Connor's question rang in my ears. Why us?

Why the hell did I leave him?

Some time passed, and after thirty minutes or so, I heard footsteps close to me. I lifted my head and saw the familiar person walking towards the house.

Connor stopped in front of me. His hands were deep in his pockets and his eyes were bloodshot, and it wasn't from crying. His face was devoid of any emotion or color.

I scooted over so he could either sit down or walk past me into the house. "What are you doing out here?" He asked with no particular tone.

"I just needed some air." I breathed out. Connor just sighed and stepped inside the house. I heard Zoe and Evan's conversation stop as he stomped up the stairs. I went back inside too when I saw a car delivering our food pull up.