Chapter 37

Cement pathed its way before City hall.  Green grass and autumn swept trees danced on the borders of the concrete. Forest jogged across the path towards the entrance. Melody, Mr. Marcus, Kieran and fighters from both Auxilium and Proelia followed closely behind.

    The city hall's many windows glinted in the sunlight. It was at its highest at that moment. There was a rectangular panel that stuck out beside the entrance, the clock on it chimed as the afternoon dawned on them. The panel then sunk back into the grey building with white accents.

The sky seemed too cheery for what was about to go down. They surrounded the city hall. Prime Minister Kettening stepped down the stairs of the building. He approached Mr. Marcus. "Everyone has been evacuated."

Mr. Marcus nodded. "You should get out of here too, Richard."

He shook his head. "I'm not going anywhere," He pulled out a mace. "I'll protect this city with my life."

Mr. Marcus nodded, but said nothing more. Richard shuffled his way into the crowd of fighters. Forest's palms sweated as he grasped his dagger tightly. He was nervous, but ready to take down the Silver Blades. His face was deep with determination.

The rumble of a truck's engine roared in the distance. He gripped the dagger tighter and readied himself. An old metal truck skirted into view. They recklessly stopped in front of the city hall. They then sharply turned, causing the colorful fallen leaves to swirl on the ground. The truck parked at the far edge of the concrete, out of the way.

Everyone held their weapons, ready. The air was tense as it washed over the fighters. Aki and Rai, along with some Red Rose members including Takeo, hopped out of the vehicle and slammed its doors. They had billowing smiles. "Why's everyone so tense?!" Aki asked, his arms held up.

Kieran rushed over to them. Rai smiled brightly, they hugged. Aki lowered his arms and looked over at the two, his face darkened. "Rai, you never told me about... him."

Kieran now stood next to Rai. "What's there to tell?"

"What! What's there to tell?! You two are a thing aren't you?!" He advanced on Kieran. "If you hurt her I swear I will chop your head off and watch you bleed out." Kieran withdrew a little, frightened by Aki. He then stepped back and smiled at the two. "Alright good for you Rai. I'm happy for you, but next time tell me."

Rai's eyebrow twitched with annoyance. "We're not a thing Aki."

"So you won't mind if I gut him, perfect."

Rai grabbed Aki's arm. "We're still friends."

Aki lowered his hand and stepped back. He glared at Kieran, and took his two fingers and gestured at his eyes then back at Kieran. He was watching him, Kieran got that message loud and clear.

Forest nodded as the Red Roses joined their ranks. "They haven't showed up yet."

Aki nodded in determination. "Got it. We'll make them pay when they show their sorry faces."

It was still and silent. Eerily still and silent. The Silver Blades still hadn't arrived. He had the thought that Kieran was wrong. Maybe they weren't coming at all. Forest shifted his head to look around the landscape. Nothing. He then saw, from the corner of his eyes, a bush had rustled. He readied himself again. The bushes rustled once more, and sure enough there was a Silver Blade. Not just one, but hundreds of them had popped out from the shrubbery. They all charged, yells and screams of battle echoed. Forest felt anger rise in him. The battle had commenced.

Forest charged, alongside all of his allies. They were proud to be here, fighting for their homes. His dagger collided with a silver sword. The impact had startled him as he noticed a Silver Blade on the other end. They were completely dressed in their traditional uniform. They wore the black mask, and so he couldn't make out the member's face.

Forest quickly withdrew and then dodged the sudden forward movement from the member. He turned and plunged his dagger into the member's back.

As Forest ran to face another opponent, Kettening swung his mace. The man's face was drenched with sweat as his weapon collided with one member after another. Forest could tell he wanted to make up for letting the Silver Blades so easily capture the communication and transportation departments. He was a man that loved his city and he would die protecting it. Kettening's face was deep in concentration. His mace was coated in blood. Members fell to the ground around him. Their heads, or other parts of their body, were collapsed in from impact.

Melody had regained her strength. She wasn't holding back. She swung her axe with all the force she could muster. It's blade was so sharp, it often cut off parts of the members body. This time her face left no trace of remorse. There was no pity for them and everything they had done.

Another member dared to step before her. They stood straight, challenging her. She glared at them. Her gaze was ice cold. Melody stepped forwards and the member dashed towards her. She dodged and yet the blade had caught her arm. She ignored the bleeding cut and the member's many more swift moves that she attempted to dodge.

Her face was weary as she grew tired of getting cut after cut. She now had three new wounds. As the member moved to strike once more, she brought her axe up. Her face was contorted with anger. The metal impact had created a spark that glowed in her eyes.

She kicked at the member making them stumble back. "Enough games," She muttered with disgust. Whilst the member was taken aback, Melody dropped her axe. She let it swing and impact her opponent. The axe's blade sliced through the flesh. There was a grunt and cry of pain. Melody turned her head and spit on the ground. She then gritted her teeth and walked away.

Kieran was nervous. Rai looked over at him  and gave him an encouraging smile. He let out a deep breath to settle his nerves. Then he saw Aki swiftly brush past and glare at him. He shuddered as if to shake it off, then joined Rai in battle.

Their backs were touching. Rai lunged and her katana sliced a member right through their chest. Kieran gracefully threw his Kunai and he took down the member before him.
Rai withdrew her katana and then sliced another members arm.
He threw another kunai. It's sharp Blades had sliced a Silver Blade's throat.
One member advanced on them, inching closer to Rai's side as she pulled her Katana out of another member. She turned her head just in time to use her animax. Beneath her strong gaze the member fell to their knees screaming in fear. Kieran cast a quick glance back at her just as the screaming faded and she retracted her katana.
Sweat clung to their brows as they continued to stab and lunge, looking after each other's backs.

Forest's fingertips were white as he grasped his opponents arm. The Silver Blade tried to strangle Forest with his free hand, but he brought his dagger up. It sliced the member's hand and blood dripped onto the cement. He took this opportunity to strike the members stomach.

Bodies fell to the ground, both SIlver Blades, Proelia students and Auxilium townspeople. Blood now coated the once clean cement.

Forest's arms ached from swinging his weapon so viciously. He was drenched in sweat. As Forest trudged through, member after member falling, he looked up. With all his cuts and scrapes he had pushed through, not bothering to really look at his opponent.

There was tall figure that stood towering over him. With a smug grin, the man had pulled off his black mask. Forest was taken aback as Damon stared back at him. Kieran too was in shock. He joined Forest's side and held his kunai, ready to strike. He then noticed in the distance, Jonathan staring at him, almost daring Kieran to come over and fight.

Forest took in a shuddering breath. Kieran looked over at him, determined yet fearful. They exchanged encouraging nods. Kieran then made his way towards Jonathan. Forest turned his focus back to Damon.

He gritted his teeth. "And so it begins."