Prologue

The tall city buildings of Ferrum were tinted shades of orange and purple. Glass from the buildings reflected  the breathtaking sight of the setting sun. Heels colliding with the pavement echoed as a tall lady walked down the streets holding a bottle of wine. Her hair billowed out behind her. A cold breeze passed by and chilled her, making her pull on her scarf and leather jacket. Tonight was a special occasion for her. She was in a hurry to get home to  where her family was coming to visit to see her newborn son.

        She rounded a corner and was faced with the familiar sight of her apartment building. She crossed the street and stopped in front of the glass door. She yanked it open and entered. She was greeted with stairs and there were other doors that led to other families, but she was only concerned with her family. She made her way up the stairs to the second floor and walked down the old hallway that was tinted yellow from the outdated lighting. Although the hallways were old, the rooms themselves were quite modern. She paused in front of her own door and smiled.

     She was met with the warm smell of home cooked meals and laughter, it made her smile even more. She placed the wine on the counter, took off her scarf, and entered the living room. Her family was sitting and laughing on the couch. They all looked up as she entered and she was greeted with large smiles and hugs.

      "Rosalind!" Her family yelled with joy.

        After she hugged everyone she situated herself on her creme couch. It was a tough squeeze with everyone there, but they managed. The glass doors that led to the balcony showed the beautiful sight of a sunset.

        Through all the laughter there was a small beep. She glanced down at her wrist where there was a bracelet. It had a message scrawled across it. The message was a warning of criminal activity from work. She ignored it. Tonight she wasn't a Guardian, tonight she was Rosalind. Her husband seemed to be concerned, he got the same message. He gazed at her filled with concern and she only returned a look filled with happiness. She was urging him that it was fine. Her cousin Clara, sitting beside her, leaned over and peered at her bracelet.

     "What's that?" She said obnoxiously loud, causing the room to hush.

Rosalind cringed, her cousin was short for her age. She just turned 18 and she was very noisy and hyper. "Nothing to worry about." She waved the question away and smiled at the several curious glances she was receiving.

     Her great aunt was the first to voice her opinion. She never shied away from expressing her opinion, and she had a booming voice that was almost obnoxious."Better not be them Silver Blades I've heard about on the news." She glanced around the room, peering at everyone through her glasses.

        "Are they that criminal group?" Clara asked, a slight frown stretched across her lips. "The ones that are responsible for all those murders and robberies recently?"

    "They've been doing those things longer than just recently, although it seems their name has become known only recently...but then again there has been a crime uprising with the Red Roses as well." Her uncle looked deep in thought.

        "I heard they kill anyone who gets in their way!" Her other cousin, Lionel  said and he swooped his hand like he was telling an elaborate pirate story.

        "And you seem to be in their direct path." She turned her head, her grandmother met her gaze with withered caring eyes.

        "I heard they steal kids when they get the opportunity, which I find weird since they're an all guys group...right?" It was her sister, Abigail that spoke that time. "Wait that makes sense since they can't, y'know... have their own kids to pass stuff onto..." She trailed off, a little uncomfortable at the topic.

        "They're criminals, they don't need to pass any of their teachings onto anyone!"