CHAPTER 2

────────────────

────────────────

MINGXIA POV

The memory of what happened six years ago still haunted me, no matter how hard I tried to bury it. The villagers became wary around me, urging my parents to disown me so I would leave the village. Xieren's father was angry, but he didn't pursue me out of his friendship with my father. But still, I knew he wanted my head for what I did to his daughter.

"Why are you still here, Mingxia? You know everyone in Shangzihua doesn't want you here. You might as well join the yaoguai in the Forbidden Forest. I bet they have a spot just for you," Xieren said. Her hair covered the left side of the face, hiding the jagged scar from view. Her other eye stared at me with contempt and disdain.

She could put up a front as much as she wanted to, but she feared me just as much as anyone else in Shangzihua. She kept her hands clenched at her sides as if she was ready to fight. And yet, her balance rested on the balls of her feet, ready to run if I lashed out. Her posture oozed hypocrisy. I hoped everyone would forget what happened and move on, but my sin would stay with me until the day I died. That's all I did lately, hope. And boy, was it difficult to hold on to hope in a time fraught with constant conflict and hatred.

The people didn't know what kind of person I was and yet; they were so quick to make judgments about my morals and character. 'How can anyone possibly hate someone else without knowing who they are?' I thought. My heart ached with sadness, the sadness of knowing they would never accept me because they would always see me as the village yaoguai.

"Don't you think the Forbidden Forest suits you better?" I asked, not caring about the consequences of my words. I wanted them to punish me. Not because I liked it, but because I deserved it.

"You little bitch!" Tao Li said as she lifted her hand up to slap me. "You should know better than to talk to Xieren like that!"

Several villagers took notice of the argument but chose to not intervene. They watched in silence, waiting for me to retaliate. All they needed was another reason to force me out of Shangzihua, and I wasn't about to give them one. I promised myself I wouldn't bring more trouble to my parents, and it was one oath I was desperate to keep.

It was easy to avoid fighting back. I just needed to remember the beast from six years ago and how it never disappeared. 'There are too many witnesses and no room for escape this time.' I braced myself for the slap, but it never came.

Mao My came forward and grabbed Tao Li's wrist. "Tao Li, leave her be. She could tear you to pieces." I couldn't depend on anyone other than my parents and myself, not even Mao My. Xieren's power and status seduced Mao My. It wouldn't be long before she turned into the next oppressor of Shangzihua.

"Ha! She wouldn't hurt anyone. Look around us, Mao My. Mingxia has no way out. Running won't save her this time!" Tao Li said, placing her hands on her hips in proud defiance.