Chapter thirty eight ~ goodbye

Start from the beginning

    “It wasn’t your fault. I’m just glad you’re ok… even though I would have appreciated if you had told me what was going on.” he cast a sideways glance to Jungkook, making him look down.

    “Don’t be mad at him either. I don’t want you two fighting. He didn’t do anything wrong, it was me who didn’t want to alert you.” Jimin lied, wanting to protect Jungkook.

    “No it’s ok Jimin, he deserves to be mad. I messed up.” Jungkook took Jimin’s hand. “I tried looking after you but…”

    “Shut up Jungkook. Don’t be harsh on yourself. I’m sorry I got mad, I don’t know what came over me.  I know you did everything in your hands and tried to protect both of us. There was just nothing you could do to avoid this. Either way, I’m grateful to have you.” Tae smiled at him, making Jungkook smile back shyly. He was blushing like he had on their first date.

    “I really didn’t do much-” he started.

    “Jungkookie.” Jimin turned to him, cutting him off. “You remember how you lost a bet and owed me a favor?”

    “Yeah…?” it was Kook’s turn to be confused now.

    “Well I’m cashing it in now.” his expression suddenly turned serious and solemn. He furrowed his eyebrows and spoke again after a long sigh. “If I die today-”

    “NEVEr say that Jimin! Nothing’s going to happen to you.” Jungkook interrupted, eyebrows crossed. The mere thought of it happening was enough to freak him out so much that he hit his head to the roof of the vehicle from standing up too suddenly. He didn’t even realize he had started moving until he felt his head hurt. He sat back down and let Jimin continue, mumbling an apology.

    “I know the odds Jungkook. Just let me finish. This is your forfeit: If something happens to me and I don’t make it out, I want you to look after this dummie. You two look after each other ok?” Jimin was tearing up. He looked miserable, Jungkook felt like someone had punched him in the heart and ripped it out, just by looking at Jimin’s face. He wasn’t used to seeing him like this. “Promise me, both of you. Don’t fight over stupid things. Be each other’s support. I need to know that you’ll be there for each other if I won’t be able to be there for you anymore. I want you to promise you’ll love this idiot forever. He needs you and you need him.”

    “We promise Jimin. Don’t worry. I’ll look after Taehyung with everything I’ve got. I will love him forever and I’ll be there for him. We’ll be there for each other.” Jungkook took Jimin’s hand and squeezed it. He stopped speaking because he was afraid he’d start crying. He needed to stay strong for his boyfriend. He closed his eyes so that Jimin wouldn’t see they were getting welled up. “We’ll all be there for each other.” he managed to mumble.

    “I don’t wanna go-” Jimin mumbled. “Kookie I don’t want to…” he closed his eyes. “I don’t want to say goodbye. I love you guys. I love you so much. I want to be with you forever-” he looked broken. They had never seen him this hopeless. Jimin had always been the strong and bold one. They couldn’t bear hearing him say these.

    “Nothing’s going to happen to you Jimin. You're not going anywhere.” Taehyung said, making Jimin face him. Jimin’s eyes were glowing with tears as he looked directly at Tae’s eyes. At that moment he didn’t speak but his expression was so piteous, his eyes were so desperate that it was enough to make Tae just break down and cry, but instead he just sighed and continued. “We’re right here. You’ll be alright.” he gulped back a sob and forced a smile. “You’ll be fine.” he didn’t know if he was saying all that to convince Jimin or himself. “You’ll be just fine.” he repeated.

    “Don’t name your kid after me ok? It’d be weird. Let Yoongi and Hoseok take the name. Just, stay together. I need to know you’ll stay together.” He wiped a tear. “That will help me calm down and go a bit more peacefully. Knowing that I’ve brought you two together will help me relax a little I think. If this was my destiny on this world, I am honored to have been a part of it. If I die today, I want to know I’ve died having done something good.” he smiled. He looked exhausted, as someone on their deathbed would. He was very pale, yet he managed to look beautiful all the same. There was something really off with his expression though: the despair. The despair in his eyes made him look downright awful. Taehyung couldn’t take looking at him anymore, so instead he leaned down and kissed his boyfriend, terrified that it would be the last time.

    “Of course we’ll stay together Jimin. The three of us. We’ll grow old together and we’ll laugh about this day.” Jungkook started once Tae broke the kiss and faced Kook to hide the fact that he was crying from Jimin. “Nothing will happen to you. And yes, you did serve a good cause. You made both of our lives way better. We’ll always be thankful for that. You gave me everything I have now. I have only known you for one year yet you managed to shine so brightly throughout that you had a great impact on me that changed me forever. I really think I am a better person now that I’ve met you, and I am grateful for every second I have passed next to you.” he grinned so brightly that it made Jimin’s face light up as well. For a second he didn’t look as desperate. For a second everything was actually going to be ok.

    “If bringing you two together was my whole purpose in this world, I consider myself the luckiest man alive.” Jimin smiled a little. “This year was the best year of my life. Thank you for everything. But I think I’ll be going now.” Jimin said once the ambulance stopped in a holt. “Be good to one another and don’t miss me too much. And don’t forget, I will always love you with all I’ve got and I’ll be watching over you. Goodbye, for now. I hope you lead a happy life together.” and a team of medical professionals came to roll him out of the ambulance. Jimin waved his boyfriends goodbye as they stared behind his back, unsure of what to do next.