23. Shrouded in Darkness

Please vote.

You will always be a monster- there is no turning back from it.

But what kind of monster you become is entirely up to you.

–Julie Kawaga, The Eternity Cure

Death studied the creature on the ground writhing in excruciating pain

Death studied the creature on the ground writhing in excruciating pain. His nostrils flared at the delicious scent permeating the air. He squatted near the body, watching the maggots he implanted inside, devour his flesh. They locked eyes and he frowned fascinated by the boy's glowing body. He supposed he wasn't really a boy—but a twenty-one-year old man. A child, compared to his existence. But all where mere flashes of memories, except his opposite, Life.

Thanatos' mind emptied, spotting the skulls images branded on the boy's retinas. Interesting. Dumu-mi bound this boy to her at the mere age of eight. And while he still had a physical form. His child was powerful. This boy was a guardian. Well, this put a wicked twist on things. The boy still had to die.

Bending at the waist, he trailed his fingers along the lines of his face staring boldly into his eyes. His fingers splayed out across his chest, hovering above his heart. Without a second thought, Death plunged his hands through Dominic's chest, silencing his heart. He grinned at the blankness in the boy's eyes.

He suspected Dominic bonded with his Dumu-mi the only way he could comprehend. And that was as her protector. Death was certain the powerful succubi blood in Dominic's bloodline played an important role in the relationship with his child. No matter. Scooping the limp man into his arms, Death stepped into the shadows of darkness.

☠️☠️☠️

"Son, you must make your engagement with her official. She needs to report before the council. I know that she has met certain members already, but the proper protocol is for her to meet each representative of the darkling species."

Cyriac kept his face blanket, his eyes sliding over his father's pleading ones. The pressure from the council made him irritable. And yet, the truth was he had yet to confront his father about the visions of the past. How did one approach a subject like that? More so, what happened to his mother!

"I understand father, but you know Rosalinda's safety is a priority. We don't want Thanatos upset."

"This is why it's imperative, she meets with each representative. They must be made aware of her existence—for her protection."

"No! Thanatos made it clear that her identity is to remain secret," he said, disagreeing vehemently.

"Then what are we going to do? You have staked your claim on the girl, but you've yet to complete the mating process? You don't have any no choice."

No choice? What was his father imply? He was King! He always had a choice!

"Or you do what?" he uttered, stepping closer to his father in a challenging fashion. They stood so close their noses touched. Anyone who was a threat to Rosalinda was a threat to him.