15. Binding Chains

Peeking monster

I seek to fill

The bottomless pit

Through the door

You go

Into the deep

For an eternal sleep

She opened her eyes blinking the fuzziness away

She opened her eyes blinking the fuzziness away. "Ow," she groaned. It felt as if she been hit by a car. Shifting her eyes to the ceiling she frowned looking at blackened sky with diamonds encrusted into them. Was she outside? No. It was just the ceiling.

She shifted her bones feeling heavy in her skin. Forcing herself to sit up, she gaped. Umm, why was she surrounded by glowing crystals? Was this how darklings healed? Her sight swayed once more and she pressed the palm of her hand against her eye. What happened? "Oh no!" she gasped as the day's events burst to the forefront of her mind.

Looking to her right, her eyes met the professor's worried ones. It was quite strange seeing worry lingering in yellow hawk like eyes.

"Where is she?" she asked terrified at the answer he would give. Rosalinda could only recall the agonizing feeling of starving.

There's no way she could have gobbled her best friend up. What the hell was wrong with her if she was running around wanting to eat the other monsters? It felt as though a hand was around her throat, slowly squeezing it, cutting off her air supply. Her lip began to tremble as tears prickled the corner of her eyes. She twisted her hands in her lap waiting for an explanation. Anything.

"Abigor!" professor Aegius called and she nearly collapsed as a swirling black portal appeared and she stepped through. She was here! Alive! A sobbed tore from Rosalinda as Gora raced towards her side eyes full of tears.

"Gora, I'm so sorry," she cried wrapping her arms around the demoness. "I didn't know."

"Rose. Don't worry," she sniffed. "We're going to figure this out together."

"No!" she yelled pulling back from their embrace. "It's time I stop running. I can't live like this. I have to face my past and present," she said wiping her tears and sniffing. Closing her eyes, she found her center. The shadows, they were always there. Waiting for her. Energy gathered in her stomach before bursting. The shadows devoured the room plunging it into complete darkness.

"Father! Come to me!" she called using every ounce of power in her body. She didn't dare breathe as time froze and malevolent energy swirled around her. Suddenly, time swiftly resumed, and she scanned the room searching for her father. She knew he heard her. She could feel it within every fiber of her being.

"Rosalinda, girl there's no need to apologize we all ma--" her sentence cut by the loud cracking in the air. Gora froze looking on in horror.

A small black flame hovered in the air, glowing. The flame gave way to smoke, and the smoke solidify into ink, before stretching into a seven foot male. Gora squealed as white eyes possessing no iris or pupil, but swirling with infinite wisdom opened. They latched onto her own eyes.