10. Mirrors and Monsters

DON'T FORGET TO

FAN

VOTE

COMMENT

Mirror mirror on the wall

Tell me who's the devilish of them all

The stillness of the night was always comforting. Like rain hitting against the windows while eyes are heavy with sleep, or a warm soft embrace, it soothed her as darkness wrapped around her. However, no amount of comfort could get her to sleep at night. Sleep deprivation had her grey eyes so pale that only the pupil showed. She studied her reflection in the bathroom's mirror while debating to call three times for Candyman. Would he appear and take her to the afterlife. It's probably better than the monotonous life she was living here. She was invisible. And lonely. It hurts.

I don't need them.

Shutting off the lights to the bathroom, she returned to her room. Still, she wasn't quite ready for bed, so she planted her form at her vanity table. Gosh! Rosalinda was just unable to shake this oppressing heavy feeling. This heavy pain filled her heart and left her hollow inside. She was missing something. Something was terribly wrong and she had yet to figure it out. Tears filled her eyes as her nose flared and she fought the lump forming in her throat. No. She was done crying. She couldn't keep doing this. Focus on something else. Anything!

Sighing wistfully, she pinched the bridge of her nose trying to push her thoughts aside. Her eyes landed on the antique ivory bush. Grabbing it, she twirled it in her hands, the bristles were extremely soft and the designs on the brush incredibly detailed. She studied the vines twisting along the handle and around the back of the brush.

"That's kinda morbid." She mumbled noting the wilting rose etched on the back of the brush. These vines had thorns! "Darkness becomes you." She read slowly aloud. Why would such words be engraved on a hairbrush?! Hadn't she heard these words before? Huffing at her quirks, she pulled the hair tie moaning as the tension ebbed from edges. Twirling the brush in her hand, she studied her reflection before dragging in through her tresses. Her mind returned to the hollow ache in her chest. Setting the brush down, she wiped at her eyes before a sob burst from her lips. Gosh, she was going crazy! This was ridiculous!

"Just make it stop." She sobbed resting her head on the vanity table. Just stop. She cried her nose running.

She squeaked as her world shifted. Daydreaming? The wind howled around her, whipping her hair about as she squinted into a starless night sky.

Leaning on a banister and reaching out towards the infinite blackened sky, she called out to him. Rosalinda blanched as she whipped her head around only to encounter a glass castle. W-what? It looked ominous under the starless night sky, and a soft glow came from within it. She inched closer. The wind howled once more and his voice reached her. He was coming back. Elated at the idea she spun in a circle clapping with glee.