8.3 One Plus One Makes Three, Gentlemen

Start from the beginning

Nobody noticed the abnormality because Lang Yuan is still keeping a composed face. After all, he didn't know why he was feeling this. Maybe he was nervous. Or did he ate something bad earlier? But these symptoms are to the extreme that could almost take anyone's life. He almost wanted to just slit his hands here and die than to feel this painful coldness on his body.

Maybe the people who are feeling anxious right now would be Zhong Song, the emperor and his son on the background, and Chang MingYu who keep on taking track of Lang Yuan's reaction. Earlier, he felt the sudden change of the youth's heart beat meaning that the 'mark' that a dragon possess is diminishing. Now, no matter how he wanted to help this candidate ease the pain all he can do is to watch.

After all, they are not related in this world.

This would be the first time that they met.

They haven't even talked once.

Never even know each other's name.

They are strangers that only met once in this lifetime.

The right hand of Chang MingYu, Ze DongDong, noticed his master's temperament. He asked the emperor a few questions. Chang MingYu only disregarded his subordinates question and only asked when will the contest start. Ze DongDong thought that his master is only impatient and wanted to move the contest in motion. Zhong Song walked to the front with an apologetic face to all.

"We will be starting the competition. The Emperor decided to be absent for today event for the ease of the Candidates' actions. Now, I will explain the details of the contest..."

The scholar seems to be hurrying for today's match. Not only did he not stop spilling out the rules but the usual easy and relaxed tone that he has is gone. He spouted the rules with a solemn look, making the servant feel unease. Zhong Song seldom shows this expression. And if he does, it means that something bad is happening.

"The first five candidates who can finish the contest will receive two points. The last five will be given one point. Any place lower will receive no points. The point system would base to who will finish earlier and who managed to get the highest score. If both are accomplished, then they will fall to the first five..."

Easy to understand. The same rules happened to the flower arrangement.

"Each candidate will be given fifteen questions. These questions are made from the best scholar of the nine realms. However, I am excluded to the number due to my involvement. The eight realms owned the right to give the answers of the question after the competition. Any objection will be closed if no one will raise a question."

Nobody seems to object so he continued. This is the usual rule anyway. Zhong Song, as a royal family member and the imperial scholar, his involvement will create a risk of leakage to the candidates. Especially if he has someone he favored. By letting the people of the other realms do the job made things fair. None of the candidate from the harem members is allowed to meet any man other than the emperor and the distinguished men of his family. By violating this rule will mean treason to candidate.

"Each candidate will be handed fifteen scrolls. The fifteen scrolls of each of the candidates have the same question. It is up to the candidate to answer them in whatever manner they wanted. If a candidate finished doing a question, the candidate can hand it to the twenty scholars waiting to the front of the judges. Or if the candidate wishes, the candidate can hand in the fifteen questions in one go."

The five judges, as usual, sat in an elevated platform to see the contest. The emperor would be sitting on the throne higher than they would. The twenty scholars that are mentioned were sitting on the same floor with candidates. Only apart by a few meters, they are sitting with low tables in front of them. On the table would be an ink grinder, brushes, and inkbottles. They also have abacus on their sides.

In order for a candidate to hand in their answer, they have to stand up from their places and walk towards the scholar. After giving their answers, they can live without further questions. That is due to the fact that other emperor are present on the hall. They were not officially introduced so looking up and seeing them eye to eye is a crime. Actually, for this whole contest, the candidates are required to answer the question with lowered heads as possible to avoid eye contact.

They could only look down, on their sides, and front. Other than that, people will assume that they are cheating by sending messages through their eyes.

Zhong Song only waited a minute for a complain but nothing happened. So he only walked towards the Sundial and the sand glass. With a meaningful look to that certain candidate, his heart could only sigh as he slowly pushed the time sand. He wished this time that Lang Yuan will survive the contest.

It's not about a matter of intelligence. It also measures his endurance to last until the end.

Without any unnecessary excuses, Zhong Song started the contest.

___________________________________________
Yay! An update!
I'm still writing chapter 8.4 and might post it later 😂😂😂