Final chapter

My support system arrived to the hospital with concerned faces.

Kurt came and hugged me at once. Even he out of all was more worried about Adrian. So he knew very well what I was going through.

Sarah rubbed my back while Ky assured me that everything would be fine while I was crying.

Luke was surprisingly the mature one here and instead of being overcomed by emotions, he was calm and positive. He spoke to Danny and made sure he knew every little bit about the incident. He waited patiently for the doctor to arrive and check on Adrian.

The doctor went in, checked on Adrian and then returned to us. He removed his mask to talk to us.
I had a feeling that something is not right. It was just that heavy feeling that was lingering in the air. With every minute I could feel my heart sink. I just knew the news he's gonna break is not gonna be good and then his voice broke the strange silence among us.

"Miss Ara" he said looking at me.

I took a step forward to acknowledge him.

"You can go meet Adrian." he said.
I swear my heart skipped a beat when I heard those words.

"See you serious doctor? Adrian is finally awake?" I was shocked. This is exactly the opposite to what I expected.

But why did I feel that way?

Almost answering my question that was in my head the doctor spoke again.

"No, because he has slipped into a state of coma. "

And with that everything around me just went blank.

I knew the news would be bad. I knew I won't be liking it. But, still I hoped I was wrong, so damn wrong.

For the first time I hated myself for being right.

I felt nothing.

Except shock and loneliness.

I wasn't sad.

I wasn't angry.

I didn't feel anything.

I looked around and I could see Kurt sit on the hospital bench and hold his head with his hands. I saw Luke running after the doctor not giving up hope about reviving Adrian. I saw Ky comfort Kurt while crying. Danny and Sarah were trying to comfort me but everything was as if it was taking place in a background. Nothing was clear to me.

I wasn't even crying now.

I was just standing there looking ahead numbed by what I just heard.

I could hear Danny's voice trying to tell me something. But I could neither hear him nor comprehend what he was telling. Sarah was trying rub my back and comfort me but I felt nothing.

All of a sudden I started walking towards the hospital room. All I knew was I needed to see Adrian.

When I entered the hospital it felt like a Deja Vu.

I could hear the beeping of machines and then I hesitantly brought my eyes down to Adrian.

There he lay. Pale as ever.

There were so many tubes connected to him. His head was covered with bandage. There were small scratches and bruises on his fingers. I noticed he had a small cut on his lip and a scratch maybe from a splinter or so on his left cheek.

I walked up next to him and stretched my hand out and gently touched his face. I was scared I would hurt him.

His face was so pale yet so beautiful. A tear finally slipped down my cheek and then before I knew it I was crying and sobbing.

The tears I held back finally came. I held his hand but he didn't hold mine back like he always did. I sobbed even more knowing that he could possibly never be able to hold my hand again.

I cried and cried.

" Adrian, I heard people say that when someone is in coma they can still hear. So, if you can hear me, I want you to know that you're a good man. You did your best and you didn't deserve any of this and I.... I will always love you. I'm never gonna leave you." I said crying bitterly making it difficult for me to form sentences.

I held his hand for a few more minutes, just looking at him, hoping he would wake up any minute, hoping there would be some sign of improvement. But, there he lay still only his rhythmic breathing calmed me.

I got up and I opened my mouth to say something and a tear slipped down my cheek again.  I quickly wiped it away and went near him.

"I'm pregnant Adrian. You're a Dad now. " I whispered in his ears and kissed his forehead.

"I promise I'll take care of myself for this baby, for you, I will tell the baby about you and how much you loved me. We will wait for you Adrian."

With that the room door opened and the doctor stepped in.

He checked Adrian's condition and pulse.

"Ara,  I've noticed something in his pulse rate." he began

My heart starting sinking again.

I'm not prepared for another blow.

" what is it doctor?" I asked worriedly

"There were certain instances where Adrian's heart rate increased a bit, look here, here, here and right here." he said pointing at the readings

" what does it mean? "

" it means Adrian can hear you Ara. He can hear everything that's happening and he is feelings things. Maybe you told something that made him happy or nervous that had increased his heart rate a little bit. This is a good sign Ara. This shows that he is alert, that he is responsive and that he is fighting. From now on we will keep checking his heart rate to know what he's feeling."

I realised that when I told him I was pregnant and that we would wait for him, his heart rate increased. Although, this was definitely not the way I planned to tell him. Yet, I was happy he heard it.

"yes, yes yes doctor. Uhm he can hear us. Oh thank god. " I said happily.

" and Ara one more thing. Try not being sad around him. It might affect him and it would delay his medication" he whispered

"Sure doctor" I said.

I went to Adrian and kissed his hand
" I know you can hear me honey. I love you so fucking much" I said.

I looked at the heart rate monitor and I could see it increasing.

I was so happy.

So damn happy.

" Ara,  if you could excuse us for a bit. I've got to run some tests on Adrian. " the doctor said.

I nodded and left the room.