26.

Adrain and I slowly turned towards the person to see Arthur standing there. A gun pointed in our direction and he had held Maddie.
I could feel my eyes bulge out of the socket. We are this close to escaping and now we get caught. This is so not happening. Adrian moved closer to me and Arthur became suspious that we are gonna run.
"Take another step and Madison will be dead" he said pointing his gun at Madison.
He held his hand against her mouth so she couldn't talk or make any sound but she did try to come out of his grip.
"After waiting like forever, I had finally managed to get Adrain and after waiting for what felt like an eternity today I'll be doing what I always planned to do." he said with a sinister smirk.
We didn't have any bullets left except for the ones that were already loaded in Adrian's gun. But that gun was tucked in the back of his pant and any movement would suspect Arthur and we didn't want that.
He held Madison by her neck tightly and I realized he got to know about the drug and now her life is in danger as well.
He released Madison's grip but in turn held a gun at her.
"Someone became friends behind my back" he said with sarcasm.
None of us replied. We just stood there staring at him.
"Adrain, as weird as it sounds I'm not mad to take revenge neither was my dad" Arthur started looking straight at Adrian.
"My dad was cheated by your dad. Did your dad ever tell you that? Our dads were the closest of friends. They got into this under world bussinss together. They were there for each other through highs and lows. But then one woman changed their lives. It was your mom" he continued.
I manged to spare a glance at Adrian and I noticed his fists clenching. He still held his sharp gaze on Arthur. Not looking anywhere else even for a minute.
"She made my dad fall crazily in love with her. He was willing to do anything to win her heart. Your dad knew about this the entire time. But when your bloody mother rejected my dad and claimed she never loved him but loved your dad, your dad was quick enough to love her back. My dad forgave him for what he did as a friend. But your dad distanced himself. He wanted to go separate ways and soon the business split. Even that was tolerated by him. But one night he got the news that my mum his wife was cheating with your unmarried uncle, your dad's own brother. How could he have taken such a blow? So that night he came and finished all the people who did him wrong. Your father, mother, uncle and the other people who were trying to save those worthless piece of shit.
You think a person in the Mafia would not have known that someone was in the cupboard that night?  He knew you were hiding there. But he did not let even his shadow fall upon you because you weren't to be blamed. But instead of being greatfull for spearing your life, you seek revenge and killed him. How ungrateful. But that runs in your blood" Arthur said and started laughing like a maniac.
Nothing was funny. But it was a bitter laugh. Is he going insane?  He's already insane. I was worried like hell seeing the way Arthur was behaving in front of us. I looked at Adrian yet again and saw that he held the same expression. Was he not taken aback by this new revelation?  Was he not scared of the was Arthur is acting?  Is he in shock? 
Can he atleast look at me and show some sort of emotion so that I can know what's going on in his head.
I slowly moved closer to Adrian and gently held his arm. He didn't respond in any way. He just continued looking at Arthur.
Well Arthur was acting crazy by now. He was still laughing. But the laughing was more intense it didn't even sound fake.
"I see where you have got the brains from. Well, my mom did what she felt was right. She chose who she loved. She knew she would spoil Owen's life as well if she got married to him because she would not have been able to reciprocate that love. My dad tried to convince her to love Owen but true love never fails and they ended up together. My dad thought it would be good if he and mum distanced themselves from him so that it'll be easy for him to move on in life. But since it was a joint business that was not  possible and so he decided to split the business. Oh! by the way, did your dad ever tell you he used to physically abuse your mom because he thought she was not as good enough as my mom?  My uncle used to help her go to the hospital and get herself treated when your dad would be drunk in his room sleeping to ease. She found safety and protection being with my uncle when it was your father's duty to do that. My sister who wasn't yet born was innocent. But she had to face the same situation as my parents because of the venom that had filled inside your dad against my parents." Adrian finally spoke up.
Woah, so he knew about this all the way long. Arthur has got it all wrong in that case.
"That's enough. Reasons are many. But today I'm gonna kill you and your girlfriend's life will be under my control" Arthur stated looking at me with a smirk. Shivers ran down my spine. Adrain came and stood in front of me easily hiding me from the disgusting gaze of Arthur.
"I'm afraid that'll not happen" Adrain replied with confidence.
Madison bit Arthur's hand really hard and he set her free. She took that as an advantage and immediately back off from there. Arthur pointed his gun at Madison and Adrian immediately threw the only gun we had to Madison. She luckily caught the gun and pointed back at him.
"Gun down or I'm gonna shoot you" Arthur warned.
"More like either ways you are gonna shoot me" Maddie replied.
Then I heard a gun shot and I shrieked because Madison was shot. There was blood ozzing out off her stomach. Applying pressure on it with one hand she shot Arthur. It unfortunately hit his leg. She shot him again and it hit his chest. By now she was breathing heavily. Arthur was on the ground probably on the verge of seeing the light.
He shot Maddie again and dropped the gun next to where he lay and closed his eyes. I saw Maddie sinking to the floor slowly. Her face had turned pale and she made no noise. I ran towards Maddie Adrian following close behind. "Hang on we will take you to the hospital" I said to her.
"No-nnno its fine.... I won't mmmake it. " she strained Her voice.
"Maddie Shhhh you will make it" I said applying pressure on her wounds. She smiled at me.
"You guys love each other truly. Don't let anyone come in between you two." she said looking at Adrian.
Then she struggled for breath and closed her eyes. I tried waking her up. Telling her to get up and try to come outside the door with us. But she didn't wake up. I tried so hard but then I felt Adrain's hand on my shoulder and I immediately hugged him and started crying. He gently rubbed my back while I sobbed on his chest.
She saved us and somewhere it's because of us that she is dead.
"We need to leave Ara" Adrain whispered.
I nodded my head and wiped away my tears.
"Let's go" I said.
We got up, opened the door and left without even looking back once.
Finally we are free.