WHY DID YOU LIE?

I took the seat Chike pulled out for me which was on the left hand side of his mom since she was sitting at the head. The cushion caressed my buttocks. Chike sat on her right side. I dished fufu and okra into my plate after Chike filled his plate with yam porridge, same meal was on his mom's plate. I waited as she said the grace and I saw Chike when I opened my eyes in the middle of the prayer, he was shaking his head as his mom went on and on. When I finally dug into my plate as we all say a loud 'Amen', my fufu was already cold. I ate it anyway because the soup was tasty.

"Can you make it home today? It's getting late and I don't want you driving late at night," Chike's mom said, her face took on a look of worry.

"We can spend the night," I replied. She didn't have to worry about our safety when we could leave the following morning.

"That's the safest choice. I'll get the guest house ready for you."

I glanced at Chike and he wasn't looking too pleased.

"Boss, I think you're forgetting we have a job very early tomorrow," he said in a tone he'd never used on me. He sounded genuine too.

"I don't think so," I replied.

"What the fuck?" Chike asked silently when his mom went back to eating.

"You can spend the night in one of the empty rooms in Chike's wing, in case you guys have something to work on."

"That won't be necessary, the guest house is fine," I said.

"No, my dear. I don't want any inconveniences for you. My young man works for you and I want him to be available when you need him."

I tried to read her expression to see if there was some double entendre in her speech but her face gave nothing away and I continued with my food.

"Mom, you don't have to bother at all. We'll be leaving soon."

"I insist and Jade doesn't mind. Your father will return tomorrow morning, so you can see him before leaving."

I finished my meal and sat back. My seat was directly facing Chike and he wasn't hiding his annoyance as he met my gaze whenever his mom wasn't looking. I didn't know how Chike got his phone to ring because that happened. He answered it and turned to me after he promised to call back the person on the other end.

"That was for you," Chike said to me and turned to his mom. "Thanks for the meal, Mom. My boss needs to talk to a client in private."

"Oh, really?" I asked.

"Yes, really."

I stood up. "Thank you for dinner and for allowing us spend the night," I said to Chike's mom.

"Thanks for suggesting it. He hasn't slept in this house in years." Chike's mom mopped her eyes with the sleeve of her kaftan. "You guys have fun. I'll also retire now as I've a massage therapy to attend to."

"Enjoy your massage," I said to her before taking the stairs after Chike who didn't say anything as we walked to his side of the house.

"What? No one called, why did you lie?" I asked him when we got to his living room.

He pulled me into his bedroom and shut the door. "That wasn't your fucking call to make. I brought you here as an excuse not to stay over and you didn't do the one thing I asked of you." He looked at me and shook his head.

"She was going to be worried, what's the rush anyway?"

"It doesn't concern you. You're meddling and it's infuriating, this is the reason we keep fighting."

"You asked me here, remember?"

"How could I forget and what did you do? You made things worse."

"You make it seem like this is a horrible place. Your mom doesn't have horns, she's actually very nice," I said.

"You summed up all this from two short encounters. Why not tell her how poorly you grew up so you can see how fast she throws you out of the house," he barked at me.

I flinched visibly at his words. "I told you that in confidence not for you to use it as a weapon against me. You're fucking insufferable and I'm done with this conversation."

I marched out of his room and marched back in.

"Where am I sleeping?" I asked.

Chike walked past me and I followed him into a bedroom with blue bed covers. The room wasn't as glamorous as his but it was no less impressive.

"You can sleep here. There's new toothbrush and bathroom slippers below the bathroom sink. If you need anything ring the housekeeper on the phone near the bed."

"I need something to sleep in," I said when he turned to leave.

"I'll get you something."

Chike came back and dropped a tee on the bed. I locked the door when he went out of the room. I found the essentials below the sink and took a long shower after brushing my teeth. I allowed the stream of water beat down on me for several minutes before turning off the bronze shower.

When I wore the tee Chike brought, it stopped above my hip bone. It wasn't doing much but I didn't want to ask him for anything more. I had never fought with anyone as much as I have with him. Whenever I got comfortable, something happened to tip the equilibrium. It was nerve wrecking at this point.

I got into bed and closed my eyes. I heard a light knock at my door as I started drifting to sleep, I sighed and went to the door. I crossed my arm after opening the door, Chike was standing on the other side and he looked far from normal.

"What's the matter?" I asked, relaxing my stance.

"Can I come in?"

"Sure. Are you okay?" I opened the door wider and let him.

"I think I'm having an anxiety attack."

Chike sat on the bed, his legs were trembling and I placed my hand on one of his thighs when I sat beside him.

"Do you want me to get your mom?" I asked.

"No, I mean she doesn't know about it."

He wiped his brows with the back of his hand. I rubbed his back slowly.

"How do you feel? Is there anything triggering you?"

"I don't know, I can't breathe." He frantically pushed his collar to the side and I stilled his hand.

"Just breathe, in and out, slowly." I coached him and he began to relax. "I think you should lie down," I said.

"You don't mind?"

"No, I don't. Relax."

Chike laid in bed and I joined him.

"You can sing for me if it'll take your mind off things," I encouraged when I felt him trembling beside me.

I rubbed his back as he sang, occasionally touching his face. After a while he stopped singing and I saw his eyes closing. I tried to get out of the bed to use the bathroom but Chike tucked me closer to his body.

"Don't leave me," he said.

"I'm not leaving, just go to sleep."

I continued rubbing his back and I waited until his breathing steadied before going to the bathroom. I didn't know what that was about but it was scary. I was glad I didn't panic when he started clawing at his shirt. I got out of the bathroom and joined him in bed, he shifted and placed his hand in my hair.