𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕯𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖒

Once there was a little girl named Sarah Marie. Sarah was the kind of person every little girl wants to look like. She had long blonde hair and sparkling blue eyes. Sarah was seven years old. She was adored by everyone in her school. She'd even won the "Cutest Girl in School" pageant. Her only flaw was the horrible nightmares she had every night of her life. She would wake up screaming until her mother, father or older brother would come in and calm her down.

     One evening, after dinner, Sarah's mother decided to play a game of Monopoly. Everyone played and by the time the game was over, it was eleven o'clock--way past Sarah's bedtime. Her mother sent her off to bed immediately after the game was through.

     That night, Sarah had another horrible dream. She woke up screaming as usual. Her mother ran into the room and held her daughter, rocking her gently. For the first time, Sarah remembered what her dream had been about. It was about werewolves. Werewolves with sharp claws and fangs which they used to tear human flesh off the bone. She told her family about it and for weeks the same dream occurred. 

     The setting was always the same. Sarah would be playing in the woods behind her house, when suddenly, she would hear howling behind her. She would begin to run as day quickly turned to night and three werewolves would chase her through the forest. Right when they leaped at her to drag her to the ground, she would wake up screaming in terror. Finally, not knowing what else she could do, Sarah's mother took her to see a doctor.

     "What should we do, doctor?" asked Sarah's mother.
     "I'll prescribe a sedative to keep her from dreaming. Give one to her every night before she goes to bed. If it doesn't help, come back to me." he replied. Sarah took the pills but the nightmare persisted.

     The night before she was scheduled to return to the doctor, her mother came to tuck her in and gave her another one of the sleeping pills. "Try and think happy thoughts," her mother advised. Sarah tried to follow her advice, but she knew the doctor and his pills couldn't help her. So she'd come up with her own plan to get rid of her dream once and for all. She had hidden a butcher knife beneath her pillow and when her mother left the room she held it in her hand as she drifted into sleep.

     Suddenly, she was out in the woods again. She could hear the werewolves following close behind and she began to run. Then she remembered the knife. She swung around and found herself face-to-face with the three werewolves. They looked just like ordinary timber wolves, with the exception of their size. They were almost twice as big!

     Sarah lashed out at the smallest wolf. He jumped back so she only cut off the middle claw on his left fore-paw. She struck the oldest wolf in the heart with the knife. Then she struck the youngest in the lungs and he lay on the ground gasping for air and writhing in agony in his final moments of life. That only left the female. She leaped at Sarah, biting her arm. Sarah yelled and stabbed the wolf in the throat and suddenly found herself safely back in her own bedroom. Her face was wet and covered in blood. The knife was now a bright crimson instead of its normal metallic sheen.

     Sarah ran to her parents' bedroom, excited to tell them how she had gotten rid of her dream. In their place she found wolves--dead wolves. They were laying exactly as they had been killed in her dream.

     The oldest wolf, was her father, with the knife wound in his heart. Her mother was the female with the slit throat. The youngest wolf was her brother. Poor Charlie, with the knife wound in his lungs. He had suffered the most painful of all their deaths--and the slowest. Charlie's claw, which she had so brutally and mercilessly hacked away, lay next to his head. She loved her brother dearly and she picked up the claw, sobbing as she turned it over in her hands.

     The dream had been a warning. Her parents were planning to turn her into a werewolf, just as they had done to her unfortunate brother.

     Sarah's scream became a howl. She ran from the house into theforest and was never found again. Some people claim thereis a lone young she-wolf living in a cave at the edge of a cliff. Around herneck is a silver chain with a wolf's claw dangling from the end. Some say it is Sarah Marie, with the claw of her long dead brother hanging as a silentreminder of what occurred that night so long ago.

 Some say it is Sarah Marie, with the claw of her long dead brother hanging as a silentreminder of what occurred that night so long ago

     This is one of my favorite stories that I wrote when I was young because it stems from a dream I actually experienced. It was one of those dream-within-a-dream scenarios because I did "wake up" to find I had murdered my family. (Though in reality my family is not comprised the same as the one in my dream that doesn't matter. I was the little girl in my dream and they were my family. Every detail in this story is how I literally dreamed it up so it's something unique to stories I consciously wrote. Feel free to share inspiring weird dreams here!