(18)Fort Black (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

Nemesis lowered her eyes and swallowed softly at the unwanted attention. Dolos grinned with mischief and asked; "And me? Do you like what I've done with my hair?"

Vikard's smile dropped and I tried to contain my laughter. Gods, I love Dolos.

"Well, enough chit-chat. Let's see what the fort holds, shall we?" He gestured to the old, gigantic ruins. Moros' eyes lifted up to the high towers and I watched them fill with fear. The prospect of finding something inside there was harrowing, but the fear of finding nothing was worse.

I clasped a hand onto my brother's shoulder before he could dart off without us and into the dark gates of the fort. The night sky was opening up and soon the sun will dip down for the day. We needed torches and a safe spot in the fort to sleep for later. 

I examined it with slanted eyes. It was honestly more of a citadel- nearly in penetrable in its glory days, but now... Time had taken it's toll. Just like it had on its owner.

Vikard's men stood up to depart. "Wait. Let's discuss how we're going to do this." I shifted my eyes to Vikard now, instructing rather than asking; "You have eleven men here." Vikard's eyes widened slightly, clearly surprised that's spotted the three perched high up in the trees. "Keep about seven out here as watchmen. It'll make manoeuvring inside the fort easier and faster."

Over the many centuries of abandonment, Fort Black was overgrown with ivy, broken down and in ruins. The floors were unstable and there were secret turns and passageways in every nook and cranny. We had to be fast and agile enough to move around in there. The night was rushing in and time was running out. Who knew how many frightening creatures huddled there at night for the warmth? We would be dumb to go unprepared.

If the Gorgons were here, they would already have smelt us in the air.

Vikard wasn't too happy with receiving orders from me, but couldn't find any fault in my plan. He shrugged, like he didn't care, but I knew it irked him to be given instructions. He was far too used to being the boss out here in the snow, where no other powers could get to him; "We don't need them, do we?"

He signalled to his thieves to back up from the gates, "We can handle it."

Vikard smiled suavely and picked up his torch. He nodded to his men to hand over their torches to us. Vikard was trying to rile me up by dismissing my concerns. It was working.

"Good, so let's go." Moros said nervously and with agitation, but his hands were shaking with adrenaline. My brother was tired off listening to Vikard and I snare at each other.

I didn't make a move to leave just yet; "How do we know we're not walking into a trap?"

Vikard rolled his eyes and laughed mockingly; "I don't remember you being so scared?"

"It's called being smart, idiot..." Nemesis muttered under her breath, but Vikard heard her loud and clear. His eyes narrowed but he said nothing in reply. I didn't mind him taunting me, but we both knew my sisters weren't to be messed with. I'd gladly stick my torch up his ass and light it.

"I had scouts stake out the fort for a few weeks. There was a sighting a few hours back, so I suggest we move now before it's too late."

"It might already be too late." Apate said softly and Moros caught her eye with worry. She changed her tone a bit, realising her words had had an impact on him; "Or not- the storm was heavy."

"Right. They can't go far in cold winds. Cold-blooded creatures. They need the warmth of shelter." Vikard said as he adjusted the daggers in his boots and tightened the leather straps along his waist and chest.

The Old FamilyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara