The Wild Masters

Chapter 1

In an age long before the Great Migration of Men to the west, when the mortal races were still young and the age of magic had yet begun; men, elves, dwarves, and nature live side by side one another in harmony. Animals were only killed for food and the environment was only tampered with if it was necessary; they never took more than they needed and nothing ever went to waste.

Among the early members of these races were special individuals who possess an array of natural abilities that allow them to truly tame the wild.

They were abilities that were neither magic (though some of them were also blessed with the ability to use magic) nor technology but skills that seen to be bestowed them at birth by some unknown force, usually indicated by a unique birthmark on their chest. These selected few soon form an organization that became known as the Order of the Wild Masters for they were closer to nature than any other mortal alive and throughout all the civilizations in the ancient world, be them humanoid or not, they were held in the highest regard. Their title made them the official protectors nature and the peacekeepers between the civilized races and the races of the wild.

At any given time, there were a recorded hundred and nine different Wild Masters within the order. Nine born into each of the four ancient tribes of humans, the four main clans of dwarves, and the four royal households of elves, spread across the three continents while only one was born from outside of the twelve groups, in a cycle of dwarf, elf, and lastly, human. The symbol of their order was a green-bladed long dagger, whose handle was covered in vines. These daggers, as many scholars were told, seem to be forged from unknown metal and was given to a Wild Master upon them completing their training and accepting their duties.

But in time all men, elves, and dwarves, started to forget their roots and move beyond the bounds; destroying nature in the process; what was once hunting animals just for food soon became for sport and trade. What was once harmonious living among the woods soon turn into a graveyard of forests as trees were cut down to make way for more and more buildings and war broke out once again among the many races of this world. Many species of plants and animals were pushed to the edge of extinction and a good number were push beyond that, never to return. As the mortal races move further and further away from their roots, the Wild Masters became fewer and fewer. Soon there were no more masters of the wild left and the world of men, elves, and dwarves were forever separate from nature, at least to some degree with humans being the worst off.

Over four hundred years have passed since the last Wild Master died, long after the great empires of the past have risen and fallen and magic and technology were now the new powers of the main races and the tales of the Wild Masters are forever lost to time, with myself being one of the last few scholars alive who has ample knowledge of the order and my time is sadly drawing to a close.

Excerpt from Professor Gransworth,

History Professor at the Royal Fiore Magic Academy in Crocus, X700

X778 Magnolia

Fairy Tail Guild Hall

"Can I hold them? Please, please, oh please?", a young Lisanna asks Macao Conbolt who had just walked in with his three newborn children, Juliet, Romeo, and Rosalina. The triplets were born only two days ago in Magnolia Hospital and the new father couldn't wait to show them off to the rest of the guild. The children mother, Enno, was resting up at home after going through labor and was looking forward to having a quiet house to herself, so she had no qualms with her husband taking their kids to the guild hall.