"You're awake!" He says walking into the room with two steaming mugs in his hands. He sets one down by my wobbly nightstand and takes a seat on the edge of the bed. "How are you feeling?" His tone getting serious.

"Better." I admit taking the cup and embracing the warmth from my hands.

"This can't go on Adira, you're going to wear yourself out until you pass out of exhaustion."

"Don't you think I know that?" I snap. "I know what I'm doing Edmon, and I have a reason for everything I do."

"Maybe it's time to reevaluate those reasons." He tries to reason with me calmly. "Your pride is not worth your health."

"You don't understand, it's proving to myself that I'm worth something." I blurt out in a moment of short-lived rage.

"Adira how can you think you're worthless?" I shift my gaze away from him, it wasn't that hard really especially when you're reminded of the fact every day. I wasn't good enough for my mother to stay, I wasn't good enough for my new family who make it their life's work to rub it in my face.

"Let me show you the dress." I say abruptly changing the subject with a fake smile.

"Adira, don't do this-" I hear the concern in his voice and know if I meet his eyes then I won't be able to control my feelings and now wasn't the time for me to have a breakdown.

"It's blue and expensive but fits like a glove." I ignore his words and the implications they carry, it was all too much to handle at the moment.

"Let's see it." He says forcing a smile as his voice was devoid of any excitement. It was clear that he wanted to talk more about it.

I reach into my closet until my hand met the very end. I pull it out gently careful not to wrinkle it, it was the most expensive thing I owned. I opened the garment bag and held in out in front of me.

"What do you think?" I ask twirling it around to get the full effect. The sweetheart neckline and flowy light blue bottom made me fall in love with it. The dress was simple, and suited my style.

"It's pretty." Edmon says plainly.

"That's all?" I put my hands on my hips, urging him to say more.

"It'll look great on you? I don't know what else you want me to say Adira."

I checked the time, the girls should be home soon which meant I had to hide this and get started on a mountain of chores. "Now you'll be able to recognize me next week."

"Don't remind me, I need to find a date." He groaned laying back on my bed. "Are you sure you can't ditch Derric?"

I laugh and push him off bed gently. "We've been over this, and I'm sure if you ask a nice girl at school she would love to go with you. Now stop being a chicken and ask someone out."

"Now get out Ed, I have a lot of work to do and they'll be home soon." I shoo him out the door and thank him for taking care of me. The second he left I went straight to work. The dress went back to its spot in the back of my closet.

Next I got to work on the pile of dishes, sweeping and light dusting. The trio came in ten minutes later laughing and making me wish I had ear plugs to block out the obnoxious sound.

"Adira be useful and get started on our homework." Harper tells me pointing to their bags. And so it began.

"Get started on dinner."

"My clothes still aren't washed and folded!"

"I can't find my red sweater anywhere."

------------

Going for a run was much needed break. I threw on my warmest sweater plugged my headphones in and got ready to be in the zone. I felt my stress instantly wipe away. The cold air was refreshing and the thrill of the run was always exhilarating.

"Fancy meeting you here." Derric said, taking one of my headphones out so I could hear him.

I scowl at him, "Never touch the headphones."

"Don't pretend Blondie, I know you're excited to see me."

"Doubt it."

"Come on, I thought we were past this Blondie."

"We were until you touched my headphones." I saw pretending to be petty. I struggled to hide my smile.

Derric laughed and poked my face until I couldn't contain my laughter anymore.

"Now, I have to ask you about my birthday." I waited for him to continue. "Any hints?" He looks at me pouting.

"No." I shook my head.

"Not even one?"

"Fine, I'll be wearing a dress, and shoes and a mask." It was fun messing with him. His face immediately fell, full of disappointment. 

"You're no fun."

"Yet you're still here." I point out.

"Maybe I can't resist."