I stuffed my hands into my pockets. I was beginning to feel a bit awkward under the glare of Mr. Young. I was used to being stared at, but I wasn't used to gaining the approval of a man like him. Normally, with one look, I got it. I was a bit out of my element here.

"Yeah," Bridget agreed quietly. She turned to me. "Thanks again for returning my jacket."

Her father glared at me for a while before turning and saying to his daughter, "Five minutes, Bridget."

My heart beat quickly as we stood side by side, looking out at the road with our elbows resting on the guardrail. I tried not to make it obvious I was staring at her as the wind blew her hair.

"I told you my father was overprotective," she said matter-of-factly in a whisper. She probably suspected her father was listening.

I shrugged. "He's not that bad a guy. Although, I can tell you two are related," I teased.

She glared at me the same way her father had, bringing a chuckle to my lips. She groaned and faced the sun once more. "Yeah, well, he's taught me well."

"Meaning?" I prompted with an arched brow.

"Meaning, I can handle myself with people like you." By the tone of her voice, I knew she was being serious. The thought of a knife came to mind again.

I smiled nonetheless. Maybe it was a bit of the suppressed romantic in me, but I enjoyed spending my Sunday morning on her porch, with her "I don't care" appearance and outfit.

She noticed my smile but let it go. She looked at her hands as she grumbled, "When I go back in, I'm gonna get lectured on the dangers of boys for three hours."

"He's one of those dads who wants his daughter to be a virgin until she's 42, isn't he?" I asked with a playful smile on my lips.

Bridget scoffed. "If he had it his way, I'd be a virgin for life."

Before I could stop myself, I blurted, "When do you want to lose your virginity?"

Yes, I am an idiot. A giant freaking idiot.

As she raised her eyebrow and looked at me as if I were insane, I wanted to hit my head against a pole and turn invisible. I wished time travel were possible so I could take back what I'd said. I knew she'd assumed I was the one who wanted to take her virginity away. Not that I didn't, but you don't just outright say it.

I swallowed hard and ran my fingers through my hair. I was going to say something, but my mouth was too dry and my tongue had forgotten how to work.

"Well, that's a bit personal," she replied defensively, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Yeah, I didn't mean to ask," I murmured. I had probably just ruined whatever trust I'd built up.

"But you had been thinking it," she accused.

A smirk slunk onto my face and I looked at her out of the corner of my eye. "I am a teenage boy," I pointed out. "But when do you?"

Bridget scoffed and pushed my head away, since I had neared her during my jeer. "Go away, you creep. And as to your question: when I'm too drunk to feel anything."

I released a hearty laugh as I headed back to my car. I knew she just answered so I'd leave, but at least she'd made a joke out of it.

As I opened my car door, Bridget yelled to me, "How'd you really get here?"

I just shot her an innocent smile and climbed in. I watched her go inside before revving my engine and driving away.

...