The Castle Tower

Flying with Vivalius had been exhilerating, but he had been experienced, and possessed a certain level of control. He had flown with gentle care. Flying with Assuntina was terrifying. She swerved, she dove, she swooped, and then finally landed on a castle tower on top of the hill. Arista was near vomiting, resting her head on her arm, eyes closed.
    "How was it?" said a deep, familiar voice.
    "Wonderful," said Assuntina, sliding off the griffin's back with a thump. "She flies beautifully."
    "You're quite the rider." His voice was coming nearer now.
    Arista's mind slowly began to clear, and she lifted her head. Vivalius stood in front of the griffin, stroking its soft head, his white hair gleaming in the sunlight. He looked up slowly, and his eyes locked onto hers. He blinked. "Hello, Arista," he said. Just like with Assuntina, it didn't sound like an insult when he said it.
    "You're my father," Arista blurted.
    Vivalius took a breath. "I am," he said. He stepped closer, so he was standing right next to her.
    "Why'd you not tell me?" she asked. "I'se thee, and you didn't tell me."
    "I know," he said, swallowing. "I thought... I'm sorry. I should have told you, but I didn't. I'm sorry."
    Arista looked aside.
    "You're hurt," Vivalus noted. He raised a hand to her face, finger hovering above the scratch on her cheekbone. "May I?"
    She gave a hesitant nod.
    Vivalius gently pressed the pad of her thumb against the bleeding patch of broken skin. The small cut stung, then tingled. Then the pain faded away entirely as his finger pulled away. Arista carefully prodded the skin. Smooth skin. Like before, at his home, with her finger. And her eye.
    "Thanks," she murmured.
    Vivalius kept looking at her. She glanced away.
    "Are you still coming, then? You're sure?" he said. To Assuntina, not her.
    "Yes," Assuntina said. "My father's being an idiot, though I trust he'll come round eventually, and..." She bit her lip. "After helping you... my parents aren't going to like it. They... I don't even want to know what they would do. Only... Could I bring a friend?"
    Vivalius shrugged. "The griffin might complain, but of course. Who?"
    "Leonid."
Arista drew in a sharp breath. No one seemed to notice.
"Bring him, then," Vivalius said. "But I can't wait for him long," he warned. "Still, take Bernie if you want to convince him. I find griffins to be very persuasive," he said with a light smile.
Assuntina smirked.
"Arista," he said, finally looking back at her, "would you get down?"
Arista gave a jerky nod, sliding off the griffin's back while Assuntina climbed back on. She directed the griffin into the sky leaving Arista and Vivalius alone on the tower. She glanced at him, biting her lip. Oh, what was she doing here? Why had she come at all?
    "Assuntina will join me in Alyppia," Vivalius said to her.
Arista glanced up at him.
"The earthquakes will only continue to get worse, and her father refuses to evacuate. I'm to try and get help from men on the continent, to convince them to come to Kalterra's aid."
"Oh," Arista said. "What'll happen here, then? To us?" To her and Gregor and Leonid and the other street kids, awful as they may be.
Vivalius sighed. "I don't know," he admitted. "But would you... Would you come with us?"
Arista looked up sharply. "What? Why?" she stammered.
"Because... Well, because you're my daughter," he said simply. "And I want you safe. I want to get to know you. I didn't know about you for so long, I want to make up for it. Would you come with us?"
He looked hopeful. He looked pleading. He looked like maybe he really wanted her. Maybe he loved her.
"Alright," she said finally.
Vivalius smiled.

Thanks for reading! Vote and comment!
~Amanda