The Conclave

"The Titans march upon us," the nymph said solemnly. The sea of faces in front of her remained impassive, except for one in the back, who muttered to his friend that technically, the Titans weren't marching. He didn't smile.

"They are angry. Angrier than before," the nymph continued. "They think themselves slighted." She paused. "The council has decided to offer Kalterra to them, a peace offering, in exchange for sparing Alyppia.

"They would take Kalterra whether we offer it or not," said another. "This is not a gift, it a is a shield. A sacrifice."

"Kalterra is under our protection. We will seal off our borders and leave the Titans full reign of the city. Men will not be able to fight back against them. They will at last pay for their sins against our kind."

A tall figure in the back of the room shot to his feet. "By dying?"

"Men die. It is what they do. It is the way in which they can serve us."

"Those who persecuted us are long dead. The people of Kalterra are innocent. Why must they serve us at all? It is not their duty to die for mistakes we made years before they were even conceived. Men and nymphs have always had our strife. But have we really stooped so low?"

The nymph smiled coldly. "Perhaps you should have considered such things when you declined our invitation to join our ranks those years ago. But it is just as well. The council is not a place for those who put human bastards above their own kind. We shall seal our borders and protect our own."

"You will hide like cowards while innocent children pay for your mistakes in blood," the nymph said through gritted teeth.

"They are hardly innocents," the council-member said simply.

The nymph had gone white, his hands bunched into fists. His friend grabbed him by the elbow and muttered something into his ear, yanking him down into his seat.

The council member watched with cool indifference that hid fear. "Remember your place, griffin keeper."

Hello, the like three people who are actually reading! I forgot to update yesterday (school is starting and I'm stressed bear with me here) so I'm publishing this shorter chapter now instead of next week. You're welcome

Also, enjoy a version of the cover that my friend photoshopped for me, feat. Arista. The original cover was supposed to feat. Arista but I am not digitally talented and got lazy. 

Don't forget to vote and comment if you're enjoying this! (Please) 

~Amanda