The Interrogation

The throne room was not nearly as full on Vivalius' second visit to the prince. He landed to find only his host, Assuntina, and a handful of stone-faced advisors. There were guards, of course, but they were hidden cleverly. Not so cleverly as to keep a nymph from knowing, but cleverly.
    Vivalius changed from an eagle to a man as he landed and said wryly, "I feel quite welcome. Have you considered my offer?"
    "Yes," said the prince.
    Vivalius raised an eyebrow. "And?"
    The prince regarded him shrewdly. "Quite frankly, sir, I cannot be sure whether I can trust you or not."
    "That, I understand," Vivalius said with an incline of his head.
    "Do you mind if I ask a few questions? About these titans you claim to be coming. And a few personal ones, as well."
    "Ask away," he said calmly.
    "How old are you?" the Prince asked, starting simply.
    "Four hundred twenty seven."
    The Prince didn't blink, having expected a large number. But Assuntina did. She knew nymphs were long-lived, but Vivalius, even with his white hair, looked younger than her father.
    "You were born on Alyppia?" the prince continued.
    "No," Vivalius said. "I was born here, in Kalterra."
    A murmur went through the room at that, even mostly empty as it was. The prince finally looked surprised. "You left when the wall was built?"
    A nod.
    "And how old were you then?" the prince demanded.
    Vivalius paused. "Young," he said finally. "Sixteen or seventeen. It was centuries ago."
    Assuntina tapped on her father's elbow and gave him a look. He nodded briefly and turned back to Vivalius. "And what is your trade, sir?"
    A wry smile hovered at the corners of the nymph's mouth. "I keep griffins, Sire," he said. "I breed them."
    The prince frowned. "Griffins," he repeated.
    At that, Vivalius smiled, unrestrained. "Griffins," he echoed, and began to change. One moment, he was a man, even though he had pointy ears and snow-white hair and eyes brighter then jade-stones. The next, in his place stood a bird as big as a horse. Or rather, half a bird. The other half was tawny fur and paws against the marble floor and a tail snapping and swishing. The bird opened its beak and let out a cry, and before anyone could think to faint the bird was gone and Vivalius was himself again.
    "That," he said, "is a griffin."
    The prince swallowed. He had gone pale. "Right," he said. "Yes-"
    "They're beautiful," Assuntina blurted. The prince shot her a warning look, but Vivalius only looked her in the eye and smiled.
    "I think so as well, miss."
    The prince cleared his throat. "Last you were here, you asked my daughter about a girl she knows. The errand-girl of her fencing instructor."
    Vivalius looked back to the prince. "I did."
    "Why? How do you know a Kalterran girl?"
    Vivalius looked at him for a moment before answering. "She was injured, and I nursed her back to health."
    "Really?" the prince said. "Quite a story. Would you care to tell it?"
    "As you command, sir," Vivalius said dryly. "The girl was on the streets with her eye cut out and her face mangled. The men who hurt her were chasing her, and she crawled into a cutter and outside of the city to escape. She ran onto Alyppia and fell unconscious by a tree, where a friend of mine found her and brought her to me, where I tended to her."
    The prince tilted his head. "And how did your friend know to bring the girl to you?"
    "I am a healer."
    The prince raised his eyebrows. "And a shape-changer, and a keeper of... griffins."
    Vivalius shrugged. "I have lived long," he said. "I have had time to master many talents."
    The prince stroked his chin. "And what did you do with the girl?"
    "I bandaged her wounds, I gave her restoratives, and I fed her, since she was bone-thin. I kept her in my home for a few days, and flew her back to Kalterra when she was stronger."
    "Why?"
    Vivalius frowned. "Why what, sire?"
    "Why did you help her?"
    "Why would I not?" he said. "She was a child, and she was hurt, and so I helped her. I do not let children bleed out on my doorstep."
    "And why ask my daughter about her?"
    Vivalius blew out a breath. "I wished to know if she was alright. I apologize if I offended you or your daughter," he said, giving Assuntina a quick look. "I am... Ignorant of many of man's customs."
    "It is something you do often, then?" the Prince asked, tipping his head back against the back of his seat. "Rescue dying humans?"
    "I am a healer," Vivalius said, his green eyes piercing. "I heal those who need healing. It is what I do."
    The Prince grunted. "You seem honorable," he said, like it was an insult. "But I still do not know whether to trust you, because you, sir, because you have not told me why. Why would you wish to warn us of some invisible threat without an ulterior motive? Even a self-righteous saint such as yourself would not risk their neck for their enemy, surely. So tell me, Vivalius of Alyppia, why are you here?"
For a long moment there was nothing but silence. Vivalius spoke first.
"You are correct," he said. "I have more than one motive. The first is simply that I do not wish to see hundreds burning while I watch, unharmed."
The prince let out a little snort.
"The second," Vivalius continued, "is my child."
The Prince paused. "Your child," he repeated.
The nymph nodded. "A half-man child of mine lives in this city," he said. "You are a father yourself. I'd imagine you understand why I gladly offer help to a former enemy to save her life."
    The prince studied him, seemingly in a new light. "And why not just spirit her away?"
"That is what I shall do," the nymph said, "if my efforts fail."
The Prince gave him a long look. "Tell me about these titans, sir," he said finally.

Hello!
Remember to vote and comment if you're enjoying my story!
So, my good friend ConspiracyTheorist3 has written her first book, Genius, and is publishing a chapter everyday. Its an amazing blend of a romcom and a murder mystery, with an amazing narrator, and it would mean a lot if you would check it out! Or not, if you don't want to.
Till next week!
~Amanda