24

I was here again. In Eddie's bar. Walking down the corridor to his office with the money, counted and put in a brown envelope, in my hands. This time I was ready. I knew behind the grey painted door that someone was waiting for me with a really big knife. But I knew I was defenceless. Other than the envelope I had nothing to protect myself with.

I reach for the handle. Hesitating for a moment before giving it a twist and pushing it open. I waited. So far there was nothing. Stepping into the room I place the money down on Eddie's desk and turn to leave.
Standing, in the doorway, was the woman. The red haired woman, so beautiful and graceful, in a beam of white light she could've be mistaken for an angel. But this was a dream, wasn't it?

Holding her arms out she smiled. Her full, rosy lips sliding up into a simple smile. Finding myself smiling back I step into her embrace and held her close. The smell of lavender and freshly made cookies seeped from her clothing and hair. Closing my eyes I tried to hide a sob into her chest. "Mama." I whispered. I'd remember the smell anywhere. Every time I smelt cookies at Grandma's house I pictured my mothers face, or tried to. I'd been so young when she died I couldn't remember all that much. But I remembered her smell and her hair. Just like mine.

Mama opened her mouth to speak but no words came out. She looked a little frantic. Trying desperately to say the words. But I'd never heard her voice and never would. Those words would've been wonderful to hear, but the fact she was now holding me said so much more. Closing my eyes once more, I hide in her shirt. Tears tickling my lips as they run down my cheeks.
"Why the tears, Angel?"

I look up to see my mothers form changed to one of Alex. His smile, his clothing, everything I remembered from the night we met. He wiped away my tears gently with his fingertips then kissed my hair. "I'm here, don't cry, Vi." I smiled. Wrapping my arms around him and holding him so tight I thought I might hurt him. I was just so happy to see he was fine. He was in one piece, he wasn't hurt.
"There's something I need to tell you." He smiles down at me and says something but no sound comes out. He tries again, and again but still nothin. He starts to panic, clawing at his throat as he tries to tell me what he was going to say. I feel helpless, trying desperately to calm him but he moves away and begins to pace.
Then, like a light bulb turning on, it hits me. What both my mother and Alex was trying to say and why they couldn't say it.
It didn't matter. Their actions spoke those words for them. Even though they couldn't say it they had both still been there when I'd needed them. I'd been so worried about three little words that I hadn't seen the signs of them being physically shown. Alex wasn't a man of words. He's told me himself.

Suddenly feeling extremely stupid, I take hold of his hands and kiss each one. Trying to soothe the torture he was doing to himself. "It's okay, I love you too."

"Violet?"
"She dead?"
"Just passed out from shock, I think."
I slowly stir, my head swimming as a pulse throbbed in my temples like a platoon of drums. Slowly opening my eyes I stare up at a ceiling covered in more blood stains than an emergency room. Grimacing, I try to roll onto my side with help from Ashlyn. Now that the chaos had ended I managed to get a good look at the group. Men, women all wearing jeans and leather jackets. Guns tucked in to the back of their trousers while others carried shotguns on their backs.
"Welcome back." Ashlyn said way too enthusiastically.
"Why you shouting at me?" I whined in pain as I crawled clumsily onto my feet. Grinning she wrapped her denim jacket around my shoulders. "Sorry, shall we go get your clothes?" I nod.
"Where's Alex and Ed?"
"Outback." She pointed with her head as she led me back to the room where I was held. "They're deciding if they should take over the place or not."
"Run two bars?"
"Yeah Eddie's Bar and then maybe Alex take's over this one." She shrugged.

Pulling off the dress I stomp on it angrily as I grab my jeans and pull them on in a huff. Sliding on Alex's shirt I'd borrowed I brush it down, tie a knot at the front and put my boots back on. Sitting down and tying my laces gave me a chance to examine Ashlyn. She was pretty, five foot five, latino with caramel skin and blonde hair. Her hair was up in a messy bun surrounded by a red bandana. "How long have you known Alex?" I ask focusing my eyes to my laces as I start on the other boot. She smiles and sits on the bed across from where I sat on the vanity table stool. The monstrosity of a dress forgotten on a heap on the floor between us.
"Since we were kids. We were in the same area growing up and he tried robbing my ice cream cone. I kicked him in the shin." She chuckles. "We laugh about it now, but, when we were growing up he was a little sour."
I smile as we stand. My eyes widening as she moves a stray hair. "Don't worry, he's not my type." She grins at me. Had I been that transparent with my question?
Yes.
"I need to do something about you." I whisper to my brain.
"Excuse me?" Ashlyn grinned, her copper eyes glinting at me. "All I'm saying is I don't 'swing' that way."
I stumble over my words as I try to apologise. But she stops me and takes my hand, leading me down the corridor back into the bar. "Don't worry. He's all yours." She grins, her eyes lingering on mine so I smile back shyly. Blushing a little even.