11

I was at Eddie's. Alone, at the end of my shift. I'd just finished counting the money and was about to take it into the office. Stepping out from behind the bar I make my way to the office door. A rumble from inside making me stop as I reached out for the handle. My heart hammered against my ribcage. No one was meant to still be here. Eddie had left an hour ago, needing to lay down after a night of gambling and losing. As he so often did.

I hold the money bag to my chest. Praying that the only thing inside was a rat. Turning the knob I pull it open sharply. My chest heaving as I expect the worst.

Nothing.

Closing my eyes I release a long, shaky breath. Trying to calm myself. Smiling I step into the office. Only to be met by a sudden force painfully impaling my stomach. The money fell to the floor as I grip the handle of the knife. Slowly raising my eyes to see who the hands beneath mine belonged to. But the hands twisted and shoved the knife deeper, making me wail in agony. Then all went black.

I bolted upright. Clutching my stomach. Tears streaming down my face as I try to ease the echo of pain that throbbed in my limbs. Sobbing, I run my hands through my hair and pull the sheet up over my chest. Trying to soothe myself. Just a dream. It was just a dream.
A soft kiss on my shoulder told me I'd woken Alex. Closing my eyes I try to put the horrid dream out of my mind. But a small portion of doubt in my head was screaming at me that something was wrong. But with Alex I was safe? Wasn't I?
"Everything okay?"
"Just a bad dream." I breathe. Trying to put his mind at rest as much as I was mine. He pulled me down against his chest. Wrapping his arms around me and kissing the crown of my head.
"Want to talk about it?"
I shake my head. What I wanted was to forget about it completely. But I was having a hard time forgetting the agony of the sharp knife that sliced through my skin.
"I..."
"What, Princess?"
"I think I died."
He held me tighter. His arms wrapping further around me. "Someone broke into Eddie's and stabbed me while I was putting the money away in his office."
"Jesus." He mumbled. Then cupped my cheek, moving my face gently so our eyes could meet. "No one will ever hurt you again...I swear to you, Angel."
"I know."
"I will kill anyone who tries."
"What if they're just wanting my phone number?"
"Oh! They'll get the torture before hand. They'll get worse than death."
I grinned. Seeing his eyes light up with mischief in the darkness. I kiss his lips gently and run a fingertip over his rough chin. "I love you, Daddy."
No answer. The light in his eyes dimming a little. Giving them a strange, creepy glow. I felt his smile falter against my lips. Then my heart sank. That was stupid! What did you have to go say that for!

Too scared to say anything else I snuggle up against his chest and close my eyes. Hoping in the morning my little outburst would be forgotten.

Blinking my eyes open, I stretch out. Feeling the lovely crack and stretch of my muscles that I relished every morning. Feeling the cool air brushing my bed hair I turn to see Alex's side was empty. Red flag one.
Sitting up I groan at myself. How could I have been so stupid. It was too early for anything like that. You've known him three days!
What about love at first sight! The other side of mind argued. It was true. I had felt an instant something the night at the bar. I guess I just wasn't sure what it was. I'd felt drawn to him in ways I'd never felt with anyone. Now that the words were out in the open. He'd run a mile. Typical man. Like all the others.
Surely not. Alex was kind, protective, gentle. With me not other people but that was the point. He was relaxed around me. I think. My stomach rumbled.

Getting out of bed I enter the kitchen. Red flag two. He wasn't in here either. A sticky note had been left on the kitchen table.

Gone for work. Back soon. A.

Red flag three. There was no 'from Daddy'. Just the initial of his name, making me feel so useless I blinked back tears. Stupid, stupid, stupid!
Spinning on my heels I head back into the bedroom, gather my things and get dressed. Leaving his shirt in a tidy pile on the end of his bed. You know what!
I fling the shirt angrily into the air with a growl.
"Fuck you." I watch as it flops lazily onto the wooden floor, grab my bag and slam the door behind me. Jogging to my car.