2

"What was that about?" Ed peeked out from around the corner. Obviously, been hiding. I stutter. Fumbling over my words as I try desperately to not squeak out the words like I would do at home in little space. "Nothing."

"Didn't sound like nothing, sweetcheeks." He comes up behind me, poking me in the back playfully and I giggle. Blushing wildly as I turn to face his large frame. Looking up at him. "It was just a guy called 'Alex' who is doing a fight tonight over at Billy's." Looking at Eddie's grim expression I felt a small ache in my chest. Was he upset? Jealous even?

As soon as I said Billy's he shook his head at me. "No, Vi." Tilting my head I stopped laughing. His face turned stern and he took a step away. Putting distance between us. "No. You don't want to get mixed up in that shit show."

"Excuse me?" I crossed my arms. Watching him as he emptied the till and began closing up the place for the night. "Eddie, there was nothing wrong with him. Little cocky maybe, but he seemed fine to me." Fine in some other respects too.

"Listen to yourself, Vi." His voice became louder. More panicked. More dominant, and I wasn't happy about it. He was a good man and a great friend but trying to tell me what I can and cannot do pisses me off. He spun around to face me, taking me by the shoulders. His voice full of alarm and pain. "Think about what you just told me, girl: Alex, fighter, Billy's...the roughest joint in town! Does any of that concern you?"

I pull away, taking out my ponytail. Relieved to let my long, red locks fall down around my shoulders as I make my way to the back to gather my things from Eddie's office. A small, cosy room with a computer, desk and not much else. He follows me. Leaning against the door as he watches me intently as I slide on my leather jacket and grab my bag. Rummaging in silence for my car keys. Then, I look up at all six foot four of him. "Have you ever heard of not judging a book by its cover?" I walk over. Assuming he would let me pass but he doesn't move. Instead, he reaches out and moves his knuckles lightly over my cheek. "You're too kind, Vi. I don't want to see you hurt."

"I know that." I take his hand in mine. "But, you can't tell me who I can and cannot see." He nods. "Besides, who says he'd want all this..." I wave my hand, indicating to myself. Eddie chuckles, stepping aside and letting me pass. Following close behind me as we head towards the door. "Any man who has eyes and a cock would want a piece of 'that'." Laughing we step out into the cold night air.

Eddie had calmed down by the time he opened my door for me to get into my little green beetle. "Drive safe, Vi."

"Night, Eddie. I'll see you tomorrow."

Starting my car I drive off down the road. On passing Billy's I pull up on the side of the road. Staring at the red door, guarded by two fierce looking knights of the biker table. Both big, blonde and wearing leather. I cringe as I watch them punch a young man in the face and throw him into the street. The poor guy just laid there. Taking a second to get his bearings. The guards laugh and give each other a pat on the back. What was I thinking? Was I crazy? Probably. But, as I looked at each female in the line to get inside I felt a little queasy. Each was beautiful, dressed like a hooker convention and wore the biggest boots I'd ever seen. Me, on the other hand, was dressed as though I'd just left the bloody office.

"Come on, Vi." I mutter. Fluffing up my hair, tucking in my black shirt into my skirt and unbuttoning my shirt low enough to show my bra and some good cleavage. It'll do. Popping in my ID and some cash into my pockets along with my phone I locked the car and made my way to the line. No one blinked an eyelid at my abnormal attire as I got to the front. The two brainless guards stared at my tits and waved me in without a word. That was easy. Inside, the smell of sweat, booze and leather hit me hard. Making me gag a little as I pushed my way through the crowd to the bar. A huge fighting cage sat in the centre of the building. Two men beating each other to a pulp as hooligans cheered and roared in outrage. Swearing and screaming.

The man behind the bar was naked from the waist up. His body covered in so many tattoos I couldn't see an inch of skin. His dark hair was pulled back in a ponytail and he was chewing something. I secretly hoped it was gum and not human flesh. His eyes sneered over my body. "What can I get your highness?" I blink. A little confused when I twigged that the sarcasm was strong with this one. Huffing, I let it slide. This was his territory, not mine. I wanted to leave here alive and, preferably, in one piece.

"I'll have a bud please." He hands me a bud and I twist the lid and take a sip. Handing him the money. Then let my eyes scan the room. Searching for any glimpse of Alex. So far, zilch.

"What brings you here?" The barman asks. Leaning over the bar to sniff the air. Was he smelling me? I blush. Trying not to run for the hills. I'd come this far. "Just a drink after work."

"Oh?" He reaches out to run his fingers over a strand of my hair. I move away. Taking another sip of my beer. "You look familiar, princess." He moves back. Grinning at my obvious distress. I shake my head. "Never been here before."

"That's fuckin obvious."

I narrow my eyes at him. His customer service skills need some god damn work. "I work down the road."

"Eddie's place." He grins. Pointing to me as he remembers. "I remember you. You served me a shot once." He leans forward again. His arms crossed on the bar as his face comes closer to mine. I grip the bottle in my hand. Ready to bash him in the face with it. "How is old Ed nowadays?"

"Fine."

"He stills owes the boss three grand."

"I don't know anything about that." I tense. His eyes looking me over then he turns to look at the fight that had just ended. Deafening screams rattle my ears as the loser is dragged off. He needed a hospital. His arms were dislocated, his face bashed in so bad I couldn't tell who it was. Not that I knew anyone here anyway, but still. Grabbing the beer from my hand the barman puts it to the side, keeping a firm grip on my wrist. He drags me through the crowd towards the cage, pulling me up the steps and into the metal ring. Tossing me inside with the vulgar, bloodied barbarian. Vomit rises in my throat as panic sets in. I grip the metal mesh between my fingers as I scream at the barman who stands on the other side laughing. "What the fuck, I'm not a fighter!"

"Sweetheart, tell your boss he owes me money..." he smirks. "If you make it out of there." He turns and introduces himself as Billy. Fuck. "My lovely hookers and convicts, welcome! Something has just walked into our mist. A delicate flower, a rose petal flying on the wind from Eddie's!" The crowd went wild. Booing and hissing in distaste as they stare and spit at me. Panting I run my hands through my hair. Pacing like a caged lioness...no, not a lioness. I was prey. Prey that was soon to be beaten and probably devoured.

"Why are you doing this to me?" I scream over the crowd at Billy. He pouts, mocking me as he presses his lips through the mesh and sends me an air kiss. "Now, my little strawberry, you will be my message to Eddie. Don't die!" He nods to the giant, who nods back.

I stand and wait. Screaming as the giant comes over and launches a giant fist towards my face. I duck, spinning and moving behind him. Looking all around me for a way to get the fuck out. The mesh only went up so far. Maybe, just maybe, I could make it up and over. Being distracted in a fight leads to disaster. As I found out. The giant grabbed my hair and dragged me towards him while I planned my escape. Slapping me hard around the face. Letting me go. Stumbling into the hard mesh, bashing my face hard against it. Grabbing hold I keep myself steady. Turning my now bruised face to see where the mother fucker was. Fear had turned to anger and small, angry women...I would say 'do damage' but in my case I just get angry.

Standing, I turn and wipe the specks of blood from my lips. My chest heaving as I try to catch my breath. My blue eyes flick to my destination, the top of the mesh, then back to the big boulder who cracks his knuckles. Waiting for me. This wasn't going to be easy.