XXXV

"So he was the one that saved you?"

"Yes, it was him. It has to be him."

"How can you be so sure it was him? Do you even know if he's really alive?" Nate questions quietly and I sigh turning to him before biting my lip and looking back ahead of me, determined.

"He's alive. I'm sure of it."

"Joan?" Nate questions a nurse to the side who stops what she was doing and looks at him in confusion.

"Nathan, you don't start for another few hours. What are you doing here?" She questions and I watch Nate as he talks with the woman, asking her to check the list of wounded.

"What's his name?" She questions Nate.

"Malakei Borislavi." I state from where I had been biting my nails nervously. She turns to me and nods before looking down through the list, she moves to the second and third page before coming up with a sad smile and shake of the head. My heart feels like it shattered to pieces then and there.

"There's no one with that name here. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

"No." I state looking up at her as a tear rolls down my face. I wipe it away angrily and shake my head.

"Thank you." Nate says to Joan before glancing at me from the side as I slowly make my way to a makeshift bench and sitting down exhaling a shaky breath. Cursing myself for being so stupid to think he was here, that he was the one that saved me when it could've been anyone. I was relying on hope and fantasy instead of facts and reality. Besides, Malakei was killed by Max before I could stop it.

I put my head in my hands and let my fingers tug at my hair harshly.

"Stop that." Nate says harshly as he grabs my good hand and elbow guiding me to my feet.

"W-Where are we.." I bite my lip and look away as Nate drags me forward. He stops walking and looks back at me.

"Just because his names not on the list doesn't mean he might not be here lemon. We're going to search the area for him until both of us are certain he's not here."

Why would he care to do this? I know I asked him to but the deal was for him to help me find Malakei. Surely the list is reason enough for him to say we tried. Why is he still holding onto this?

I nod and he places a hand on my shoulder.

"You came to me about it and looked for my help. I know Malakei is important and if he can help you in any way then I'll search this whole camp." He says and I manage a smile at him before looking down from his gaze. His thumb massages the back of my neck and I let out a sigh, feeling cold as I shiver in the frosty air.

"Thank you Nate." I say breathlessly looking back up at him.

He gives me a boyish smirk before pulling me forward so that he's dragging me in a certain direction to begin our search. I sigh and begin lashing out anywhere I could hit him to let go but he only chuckles and dodged my throws.

"Mal!" I call as I search the tents of wounded.

"Malakei Borislavi?" I hear Nate call into the tent across from the one I was in before turning back to my awaiting eyes shaking his head hesitantly. I was holding back the tears at this stage, knowing that it was almost dark out, we were running out of time and tents. Our efforts were turning useless and a waste of time.

"Lemon?" Nate questions as I move quickly to the next tent and call into it, looking at the wounded faces for a familiar one.

"Key, it's getting dark, I think we should head back-"