7.3 The Language Of Flowers

Start from the beginning

The time continued. Some of the arrangements from the concubines side are now taking form. Lou MuLan isn't really good with flower arranging but at least her talent is qualified for an Empress. Her flower arrangement isn't looking bad, pouring white flowers that could mean innocence and a drop of red for bravery. She has been placing the flower inside the pot forming a circular shape. Actually, most of the concubines have the same form. This is due to the shape of pot that they have and the only place that can be inputted.

The only difference would be the used flowers, the color combination, the ferns and stalks, and the choice of elevation. Some made a flattened round arrangement, while the other made a standing round arrangement. All in all, the arrangements look pleasing to the eye completely matching the creator.

On the other hand, Lang Yuan is messing up with the shovel dumping soil inside the broken pot. The shards of the pot were arranged on the table in varying sides together with the flowers that he had cut earlier. This arrangement is different from what the people usually see so they are curious what this human is trying to do. Lang Yuan keep on stuffing soil until he reached the proper elevation.

If anyone from the modern world sees this, they will assume that Lang Yuan is just being creative. Creating something like this is common after all, what varies would be the talent of the person making and creating the design. For a spatial person like Lang Yuan, all he needed to do is to create the form in his mind and construct it. It is as if he has CAD installed in his mind forming the desired blueprint of the project. And once he is done, it will be his nimble hands that will do the job.

Though, this kind of design will be treated as a pioneering idea in this world. Nobody can guess what he was doing so they are just watching. The judges are even curious to what Lang Yuan will do with the object.

The sand from the sand time rested to a stop. The last grain fell to the top of the hill, signaling that the time is up. The concubines retreated their hands from the pots, lowering their heads. Lang Yuan did the same, glancing one final look, and lowered his head to show he is done. Zhong Song made the ending remarks telling the spectators to leave so the judges will be able to score the works without noise.

The arranged flowers are presented in a line. The Emperor watched as the five judges take a look in every arrangement, taking note about the language of flowers and so as the appearance. Most of the ladies received a good grade. After all, flower arrangement is a common thing amongst ladies. It would be weird if they can't do a work of art despite being an Imperial concubine.

Lou MuLan received the highest grade. Her red and white combination of flowers is pleasing to the eyes. Her arrangement of the additional leaves and ferns are also superb, adding points for aesthetics. The theme of the arrangement was also followed earning more positive points for her work.

The next concubines are also scored closer to Lou MuLan. The point difference is only few, with the second place only behind with three points. The judges carried out the best five amongst the concubines and written it down to a piece of paper. After finalizing their scores, they move to the last one where Lang Yuan's work was displayed.

New and different, the modern pot design of Lang Yuan earned quite a mystery from the judges.

The broken porcelain pot is only damaged to one part, leaving a few parts still surrounding the base. Lang Yuan stuffed some soil inside the broken pot until it matched the elevation of the pot, leaving the broken part in a slope. This slope is then decorated with a few pale stalks that resembled fat roots, and the shards of the pot forming stone stairs. The stairs was arranged in a way that a person can walk to the slope in a circular upward motion.

The flowers that Lang Yuan has are the worst set that he could get. However, the buds of the flowers accentuated the free space on the slope blending with the flowers having the smallest petals. The pale blue and violet succulents were then crowded to form crown-like structures as if they are blooming yet unmoving. The creeping vine that seems to be disturbing was added to the side of the pot forming a good curtain. Little yellow and blue flowers are added to the vines to at least give color to the pale grey-green combination.

Nobody can muster any words to describe this creation. The view is refreshing and pleasant to the eyes. Actually, this new view washed the common circular flower pattern that all of the concubines did. This one isn't circular, not the usual, yet the difference caused a lasting beauty. Like as what they described with the other concubines...

The creation matched their creator.

Lang Yuan also has the same aura - new and different. The mystery of his work matched his personality. The crimson irises that he has are almost the same with those still budding flowers, showing a hint of innocence. The blue and violet colored succulents give off the hint of shy bravery, to which Lang Yuan earnestly shows to them. The weird combination of uncommon flowers exhibits the mystery of creation.

And this mystery is almost beautiful.

The judges scored his work. Lang Yuan didn't see it but the smiles on their face showed a positive score. They retreated to their places beside the emperor. Zhong Song took the signal and ordered the concubines to leave the place to take their break while the second part of judging takes place. A line followed by the maids exited the hall with Lang Yuan on the very last.

Before he exited, he sneaked a peek on the throne seeing JiDan waving a hand at him. Lang Yuan smiled, feeling completed to see his son smiling. Then, his sight moved a bit upward seeing the emperor watching him with an intense gaze. There was a smirk on Yu XueQin lips. And somehow, those lips made provocative motion, licking his lips.

It was fast and slight so nobody could see it. But Lang Yuan who is watching him quickly lowered his head. The maid who is watching beside him noticed the Candidate Empress acting weird. So she asked...

"Lady Candidate, is there something wrong? Your face is red?"

Lang Yuan only shook his head. He hurried the maid as they returned to his room. Somehow, the embarrassment not only lasted earlier when he made the obvious fall. But also this time when the emperor made that gesture he remember something indecent.

Well, what he didn't see after he left is JiDan almost wanting to kill his father on the spot of stealing his spotlight again.

____________________________________________
Yay! I updated again.

Here's the picture of Lang Yuan's work. It doesn't actually match but closer to the image I'm imagining.