Chapter Thirty-Two

“Thanks for having us mate.” Ashton says when the interviewer comes back on.

“Of course guys. Since they can’t see you can you all introduce yourselves?”

“Hey I’m Michael”

“I’m Calum”

“Hi my name’s Luke”

“And I’m Ashton.” He finishes.

“Okay guys, so we have 5 Seconds of Summer in the building today. They recently played a gig at a carnival in a town not far from the station. I heard a bunch of great things about it, so how are you guys feeling?” The interviewer asks.

“We’re feeling great,” Ashton says taking the question. “A bit nervous to be honest with ya. We never thought that we would be here, doing radio interviews. We are just 4 guys who wrote songs and made covers. Practicing in my garage, we never thought we would be here.”

“Well you are so it must be huge. Can you guys tell me about how you became who you are?”

“Well actually, these 3 boys,” Ashton says pointing to Calum, Luke and Michael. “All went to school together. I was at a different school.”

“Yeah, Michael and I were friends,” Calum begins. “Actually Michael and Luke hated each other for a good year.”

“Then one day I saw his covers on YouTube and I was like, ‘oh man this guys good’ “ Michael says laughing.

“We were quite the losers in school, when the three of us joined together and started covering songs and posting them on YouTube, people didn’t really think it was cool. It wasn’t the most interesting thing someone could do where we’re from.” Luke says.

“So how did Ashton become part of all of this then?” The DJ asks.

“Well we had booked a gig and we needed a drummer for the gig, so I messaged him on Facebook and I was like ‘do you wanna play a gig to 200 people?’ and of course he was like ‘yeah of course’” Michael says.

“However, when we played the gig, there was only what was it boys? Like 11-12 people.” Ashton says in response to Mikey.

“So you lied to him Michael?”

“No, no I wouldn’t say I lied,” He says laughing. “I extended the truth.”

“Well I guess that extension paid off pretty well?”

“It seems that way” Calum says.

“Okay, well we need to get back to some music. When we come back we will have more with Michael, Calum, Luke and Ashton from 5 Seconds of Summer. Here is Sia with Chandelier” The DJ clicks a few buttons then there is a faint sound of music playing in my ears. The boys begin taking off their headphones and placing them around their necks, we do the same.