Chapter Nine

Simon had changed his outfit four times before deciding on what to wear. Well, more accurately, he had changed his shirt and tie combination four times before deciding on what to wear. He only had one suit, a grey one, so that part was easy. 

"Are you sure this looks good?" Simon asked.

Penny rolled her eyes. She had been sitting on Simon's bed for what felt like hours. When she had agreed to help him pick what to wear she obviously hadn't realized that it would take this long. "Yes, Simon. It looks just as good at the last three."

Simon looked at himself once more in the mirror and ran his fingers through his curls. He decided that this was the best he could do. The white shirt provided a nice contrast to the grey suit and the blue tie really made everything pop. Plus, the blue matched his eyes which Penny said was nice. It maximized his assets and whatnot. 

"I haven't seen you this nervous in a long time," Penny said.

He looked at her. 

"Yeah, that's a lie. You're nervous all the time, but I haven't seen you this happy nervous in a long time."

That much was true.

Simon nodded satisfactorily and checked his phone for the time. He needed to leave soon or he'd be late. Part of him didn't want to go at all because he was so nervous that he thought he might throw up, but the other part of him wanted to go because it was Baz. And even though he didn't know Baz at all, he knew that this date would be the start of something

"I'm ready," he said. 

Penny nodded and got up from the bed, her purple hair bouncing. She followed him out to the living room when there was a knock on the door. Simon's heart leapt into his throat at the sound. He thought it was Baz and he knew that he wouldn't know how to explain it to Penny. What would he say? Oh, this is my date. Yes, it's a boy. See you later, don't wait up!

"I thought you guys were meeting at the restaurant?" Penny asked as Simon approached the door. 

He opened it slightly so he could see who it was first. It was a man but it wasn't Baz. It was a broad-shoulder gentleman in a suit with a hat. Simon opened the door so Penny could see who it was. Maybe she was expecting someone?

"Are you Simon Snow?"

Simon nodded.

"Great. I'm ready whenever you are."

Penny appeared by Simon's side and looked at the man with a puzzled look on her face. "Who is this?"

"Dudley Harper," the man said. "I will be escorting you to The Five Fields."

Simon didn't know what to say. "Oh." That was the best he could do.

Penny pushed him out the door, smiling at him and wishing him luck. Simon was flustered but knew that he had to compose himself. He wondered why Baz would send a driver to fetch him or if this was some kind of setup and he was going to end up on some terrible reality show. 

Simon followed Dudley down the stairs and outside. There was a limo parked in front of his building and Simon's jaw dropped. He had never been in a limo before. He thought that it seemed appropriate. Tonight was the night of many firsts for him it would seem. 

"Did Baz..." He couldn't even finish the rest of the sentence.

"Mr. Pitch does only the best for his clients." He opened the door for Simon.

"Oh, I'm not a--"

Dudley chuckled. "Yes, I know. I'm supposed to refer to you as a client so that his father doesn't get suspicious. It's all very hush-hush." He closed the door and got in the front seat, leaving Simon alone in the back. 

He started the car and drove off to The Five Fields. Simon looked out the window and wondered what kind of life Baz left. He could afford a limo, he had clients, and he obviously went on enough dates with men to have made a side business out of it. He felt a great sense of fear as they drove, but also a great sense of excitement. This was the thing he'd been waiting for. This was the thing he had never known he wanted but was finally getting.

This was Baz.