20

|This is the final chapter for this book,if you'd like it to be a series tell me in the comments. Also please listen to the song above while reading this chapter,I feel as though it sets the mood perfectly.|

Josh's POV:

   I followed Dr. Wolfe through the long cold corridors of the hospital to the door of room 21. I stood there preparing myself for what could be waiting for me on the other side.
   Eventually I got up enough courage to open the door and step inside.
   Tyler was lying on his back with his chest showing a newly sewn angry red line along one of his ribs, slightly on the left of his chest. I knew the doctor said he was stabilizing and that he should be fine...but still I worried.
   I watched his small frame as it grew and shrank with his breathing. I also noticed the blood soaking through the bandages on his left forearm in dark red lines.
   I took his right hand and knelt by the bed on my knees. Without any further thought my mouth opened and I began to speak,
   "H-hey Tyler...I know you're going through a lot right now...but I need you to be strong for me. Can you do that please...just this one thing can you be strong and pull through for me?"
   I paused to get my sobbing under control,and then resumed,
   "Tyler...if-...when you make it through, and you're strong enough, I'm going to ask you to move in with me...I dont know where and I dont know how...but I'll make it work if you'll have me....because I dont need anything else but you...we could be anywhere in any situation and as long as I have you then I know we can make it through anything...I just need you t-...to...co-me back to m-me Tyler..."
   I cried as my hiccuping sobs took over. I took a deep shaky breath as I stood to my feet,biting my lip so I wouldnt be heard crying.
   I bent over and pressed a gentle kiss onto his head,then let my forehead rest on his for a moment,closing my eyes.
   "...J-Josh..."
   The small boy spoke in a gravelly and course, high pitched voice as he smiled weakly up at me,eyes still closed.
   I almost jumped at the sound,feeling my heart quicken with joy, a smile spreading across my face.
   "Tyler! I'm here,I'm here baby no one is going to hurt you anymore I promise. I'm right here, thank you for coming back to me, I love you so much."
   I smiled harder than I had in years as I cried,not caring if the nurses saw my tears anymore. I was just glad that Tyler...my strong boy...was awake and that he had come safely back to me.

   A week later I was wheeling Tyler out of the hospital in a wheelchair.
   I helped him step into the backseat as I climbed in beside him with Jenna driving us all back to her place.

   Those next few days I held him, protecting him, and just enjoying having him in my arms again.
   After resting for a little less than half a week Tyler knew he needed to get back to school, meaning he'd have to go back home and gather his things...since he wouldnt be going back...

Tyler's POV:

   Jenna drove as we stopped by my house to get my things and pick up Josh's car where he had left it.
   We both climbed out and stood in front of the now intimidating building that I had never really known to be my 'home' but more accurately my 'house'.
   "Do you want me to go in with you?"
   Josh asked concerned. I told him that I'd be fine and that he needed to go get his car started so he could start the heat since it was once again snowing outside.
   He nodded but still a look of worry and concern loomed over him as he stood in the road in front of me.
   I walked towards the old dilapidated door, unlocking it and slowly stepping inside.
   My mom sat at the counter, a cigarette between her fingers as she held a beer bottle, and in the other hand was our small town's newspaper. She dropped it onto the counter obviously upset.
   The paper was turned towards me. I read the headline of the second page, "Small Town Highschool Student Suicide Attempt"
   I looked at my mom apologetically,as I grasped out in my mind for the words that just wouldn't come.
   She glared at me with red cheeks and puffy eyes. The emotions harbored there were that of disappointment, anger, and sorrow.
   "M-mom...I-...I di-dn-"
   I began,but I was cut off as she held up her hand.
   "Just...just get your shit and get out..."
   I looked to her shocked and surprised, I expected-...well...I actually wasnt sure what I had expected.
   I walked up the faded creaking stairs to my room where I gathered everything that I owned, which honestly wasn't a lot, and threw it all into a duffle bag.
   I practically ran down the steps even though my head was spinning, and grabbed the handle of the door.
   "Wait...I've got one last question before you go..."
   I turned slightly,still not making eye contact,head hung low,hoping she wouldnt see my tears as I flicked my eyebrows up, biting my lip to hold in my whimpering.
   "Why...why would you do this to yourself...why wouldnt you tell me...I'm your mom..."
   I shook my head as heavy tears dropped from my eyes to the floor under me.
   I looked at her standing there in her little work shirt and shorts,with her hand on one hip, and her other gripping her shoulder holding yet another lit cigarette.
   "...I-I dunno...your my mom...why weren't you here for me when dad beat me...why weren't you here for me when I got beaten like a punching bag over and over at school...why weren't you here for me when my bestfriend-..."
   I stopped there...remembering my friend...images flooding into my head...I couldn't even speak his name anymore...I tried to push all those thoughts away...and forget them because they only hurt me now...but how could I? How could I forget my childhood friend,who helped me through everything...when my dad broke my ribs or beat me until I was unconscious, while my mom drank and did nothing but yell at him for cheating on her.
   He had always been there for me...until the day he-
   No
   I wasn't going to let myself fall apart in front of her.
   I bit my lip,giving her a cold and unforgiving look and walked out the door. It took everything I had not to fall apart in front of her,so as soon as the door shut,my back slid slowly down the wall as I cried into my hands silently.
   Josh saw me, through the window of his car, sitting on the porch with my face covered and immediately ran up the steps to hold me.
   Eventually he got me stable enough to stand,and walk me to the car, throwing my bag into the back.
   We arrived in the school's parking lot early,and Josh took me into the back,holding me more tightly as I cried into his chest. I was a mess...I looked terrible as I sniffled and thick hot tears streamed down my cold cheeks. My hair messy and unruly. I spoke as best as I could through my crying...trying to ask why my friend did what he did...and what I couldve done to fix things...but it all came out a mumbled whine.
   Josh was my angel...my savior...it was as if he were sent directly from God himself...
   I couldn't help but hope that I wasn't imagining him...