Chapter three

Carla pushed out the thoughts, and brought her attention to the current situation.

Regardless of where they were, she didn't think she was going to have any time to fully understand at the moment.

In fact, she was pretty sure she was about to have her 26th near death experience in her seventeen years of life. Carla frowned and stared at the stone ceiling above her. She felt conflicted.

Every second she has walked this earth has been filled with pain from either another human or from her own thoughts. She didn't think she would ever escape it. Even when she finally thought she would find peace though death, she just found herself in the hands of another psychopath.

Wasn't this the universe directly telling her to go to hell? Carla laughed, her ribs hurt from the movement, but she couldn't help herself.

Her laugh bounced on the walls of the cave and the teenager watched her in silence. One sharp eyebrow raised.

Still in her delirium, Carla couldn't stop laughing, tears fell down her face.  How does she keep getting herself in situations like this? Honestly, she couldn't face this with a straight face. This world was simply ridiculous!

With a sigh her laughter was brought to an end and she tilted her head to look at the teenager. "So you are planning to take my heart?"

The teenager observed her, yet this time she had the feeling that he was actually looking, "yes."

"If so, please make sure that you do it correctly, ok? If I feel too much pain or if I by any chance survive. I will haunt you."

From her words a spark of violence grew in the boy's eyes, "How many times did I ask that when I was a child Carla?" His melodic voice was soft as he spoke and a humorless smile dressed his face. He got up, a carving knife in hand.

Methodically, he bent down next to the struggling teen.

The tied up boy started to let out screeches muffled by the ties around his mouth. The sounds could only be described as a rabbit before it's last moments as a fox bites into its flesh.

Then, without a single change on his carved face, the teen swung down. 

Dark red stains sprayed over his clothes and silence returned to the cave again. Turning around he held a piece of meat in hand which he carelessly tossed into the boiling pot.

"No one shows mercy in the face of their own self gain. Asking stupid questions, you've annoyed me."

Sparks started to spring from the fire mixing into the black smoke hovering over the pot. It looked like a cloudy night sky of falling stars, the sparks sprayed across the cave seeming almost magical.

When the teenager looked over to see the enchanted look on the girl's face his stone face nearly twisted. She was cold before, but isn't this a complete lack of self perseverance. He almost thought he was putting on a show for her.

"You do realize you are going to die right?"

The girl glanced at him again,  "Mmhmm, but first I'm curious? Please feed this poor soul with some knowledge, yes? I am trading it off with my life, after all. Why did the smoke turn into that?"

Her hands lifted slightly to push the light particles in the air. The spark dispersed on her finger tip. Why did this seems kind of magical? She was intrigued.

"It's the magic particles for the heart. I will say you are much more brave than I expected."

The teenager drawled out as he stepped closer to her, dark hairs in the cleanly done bun slipped free, swinging in front of his face. His knife poked at her chest playfully. "You see, since the hearts are the magical center..."

The knife dug deeper into her chest until a drop of blood spilled on her pale skin.

"When you take them out, and use the correct herbs to filter the magic in its purest form... you can consume someone's power. The Lars call it black magic, curses, and voodoo. But, personally, I disagree."

"I think it's just a great short cut." The knife moved to stab deeper, the metallic weapon moved like lightning in the dim area. Yet, just as the weapon moved to finish the kill a silver light shot forward from her chest. It's feeling electrified her body as it canvased her surroundings.

The teen flew back; crumbles of stone fell from the wall upon contact. From then, he didn't move, as his broken body laid against the rocks. The sliver disappeared as quickly as it appeared.

"Hey..."

The teen didn't respond.

"Hey! I told you if you didn't kill me right, I'd haunt you!"

Only silence met her.

Slowly Carla tested her limbs, her body felt as if it had recovered some as she crawled over the stone. The crawl was pitiful, but she was able to support her weight on her legs.

Tingles shot through her feet, upon use and wobbly she made her way a long the cave to the entrance. Outside was the scene of a forest, very similar to what she has seen time and time again.

However, something seemed off. Her eyes jumped to the sky. Bolts of lightning struck and erupted on the ground, animal wails sounded from the depth of the woods, and far above her she could see large things circling.

Carla froze.

This... where?

Exhaustion took her as she sunk against the stone behind her. Where in the world was she? From over use she couldn't keep her eyes open only hearing the faint yells of men searching near the cave.