Chapter 28: Control

Start from the beginning

“You really are manipulative bastards,” she replied.

“We have done everything we could to make sure nobody was worried or alarmed.”

“Apart from us four women,” she reminded him sharply.

Irvn dropped his gaze and turned his attention to the controls.

“Let me show you the route we’re going to take,” he said.

As she watched, a glowing green line snaked through the 3-dimensional image of the Solar System connecting various points, marked by flashing red blips.

“We will head first for Mars, then swing around it to head on first for Jupiter and then Saturn.”

“That’s a great SatNav you have there,” she said, “I must get one for my Fiat.”

He smiled.

“Think about it: you’re going to be seeing - with your own eyes - what nobody from Earth has ever seen before.”

She was struck by the enormity of what he’d just said. Whatever the circumstances, however unforgivable their abduction, she and the three other women were embarked on an incredible adventure, with no idea of the outcome, relying only on the assurances of their kidnappers that they were in no danger.

She had to confess to being quite intrigued. Like it or not, she and the others were unwilling ambassadors for their planet. The decisions they made in the days ahead might have huge consequences.

“So - ,” she said, “ - tell me more about this planet of yours. To start with, what do you call it?”

“Sacmis,” he said.

“How different is it from Earth?”

“Not very. Two moons, slightly heavier gravity - which makes us physically stronger in lower gravity environments like Earth. And we’re around 500 years ahead of you in technology and evolution.”

“Ah, so we’re just primitives to you?”

“Hardly. 500 years is nothing in the life of a planet. Genetically, we’re 90% compatible.”

“Are things on…Sacmis…really as bad as you all say?”

“Sadly, yes. If we can’t find a solution, then the planet faces extinction.”

“And your solution is to find women elsewhere - and abduct them?”

“That’s the course advised by our leaders who - incidentally - are all women.”

“So you really have evolved,” she said tartly.

“It was inevitable. As the number of women went down, so their influence became greater. They became our ruling elite.”

“And these women - your leaders - were in favour of forcibly abducting other women? Hardly a positive vote for the sisterhood.”

“The way they saw it, there was no choice. Without women, there can be no children. Without enough children ofboth sexes - extinction.”

“But why take women against their will? There might be many women who’d like the idea -  if you asked them nicely. A new life in a far off galaxy… with a tall dark stranger….”

“That - ” he said slowly, “ - is exactly why the four of us left. These ships were built with one purpose only: to capture as many women as possible and bring them back to…serve.”

Gemma looked back at him, appalled.

“So these women wouldn’t be equals?” she said.

“Not the way many of our people see it. There are two factions on Sacmis. Those who believe any women brought back should only be second-class citizens. And those who believe they should be equal with us.”

“And you guys are part of the second group?”

“Yes. But we’re part of a small minority.”

“So what the majority of your people have in mind is no more or less than…slavery?”

“Yes.”

“Abducting women for sex and childbirth. Presumably with some housework thrown in for good measure?” she added sarcastically.

Irvn said nothing.

“It’s the most obscene idea I’ve heard in a long time.” She paused to think, then asked: “How many ships like this do you have?”

“Just ten so far,” said Irvn, “but more were being built.”

“So your fleet has the potential to snatch as many as 40 women?”

Irvn took a deep breath.

“More than that,” he said. “The four of you are using vacant crew quarters. There is other…accommodation…in the ship’s central wheel.”

“For how many?” she asked, the hairs on her neck rising slightly.

“200.”

© Adriana Nicolas 2014