F I F T Y F O U R

- Juliet's POV -

She survived.

They didn't run into Alex's parents at all, suspiciously. Juliet saw them, sure, but she didn't manage to meet them.

As a present for behaving and not causing any more fights, Alex gave her coconut ice cream and went on a walk with her at eleven pm. It was freezing cold, and they shared a coat.

He dropped her off at her door soon enough, not wanting to keep her up late, and she hugged him. Such a gentleman, she thought fondly. He returned the embrace.

"Don't go," she pleaded, her voice muffled. "I've never had such a nice Christmas before." Which was true. She had had nice Christmases before, but not like this. Now that she had a taste of a Christmas with Alex in it, she wanted more.

Alex quietly stepped in, and said, "alright. What do you want to do?" He tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear, and she melted. 

"Play cards with me?" She asked brightly.

He smiled. "Sure."

They played cards until twelve, and that was when Alex said, "Jules. Go get some sleep. Even Typhon knows when to sleep." The dog was sleeping again.

When they came in, the husky cracked open an eye. When he saw it was Juliet, he simply went back to sleep. God. What happened to the angry fighter who snarled at her in Greece?

This was all a result of coddling.

Juliet pouted. "Stay with me. You can borrow clothes again. I promise not to feel you up," she swore.

Alex chuckled, kissing Juliet's cheek. "Juliet, I really think I should go back to my dorm."

She sighed. "Okay. Fine." She stretched up to plant a kiss on his cheek. "Good night."

He pecked her on the lips. "Goodnight." He shut the door behind him.

Juliet sighed again.

I'm starting to like that boy way too much, she thought.

***
- a few days later -

Typhon woke her up.

She growled at the dog. "Get the fuck away from me you monster."

He growled at her. She growled at him.

Two assholes stared each other down.

Juliet won.

Typhon whined around her and kept pulling the blanket off. Juliet finally caved. "Fine." She freshened up, exercised, did her skin routine, and sat on the couch when she was done. She stared at the dog. "What do you want, monster?"

He ran and brought a toy. A rubber fish. He waved it at her with his mouth. She raised an eyebrow.

He wants me to try and take it.

She stretched out her hand, and he jerked away suddenly. When she didn't move, he came back slowly and waved it again. Challenging her. Daring her.

She narrowed her eyes.

Game on, dog.

***

She and Typhon had had a great time. They played all morning. She gave him belly rubs. He kept nuzzling into her hand. They walked outside so that he could shit. He stared at her as he shit, as if he was saying, I'm in a vulnerable position right now. Protect me, mom.