FORTY ONE

- Juliet's POV -

They did nothing the whole day.

Everybody was shopping, and they stayed in their room. Somehow, Juliet ended up lying next to Alex on his bed while he talked about his schooling in Japan.

"Kaito was my best friend," he said. "We lost touch a bit but still ocassionally called each other. I had no clue he'd be coming to Carlton." He smiled a little. "It feels like he never left."

"Kaito is a child," Juliet said.

Alex chuckled. "That he is."

"Did you like any girls there?" She teased, secretly boiling inside if he even planned on saying yes.

"I've never had a crush on a girl before."

Before. "Then, did a girl like you there?" She was a little smug.

"Maybe one," he admitted, blushing a little.

Juliet laughed. "Just one?"

"Three..."

Juliet raised an eyebrow.

"Five," he mumbled finally.

"Five," Juliet gasped. "Who knew," Juliet grinned, "Alexander Camden - lover boy extraordinaire," she announced, throwing her arms in the air.

He glanced at the clock and said, "it's lunch time. You go and eat something downstairs. I'll come in about twenty minutes."

Juliet laughed. "You think you can get rid of my questions easily. Fool."

He shrugged innocently.

Juliet shook her head. "Okay." She ruffled his black hair fondly and left.

On the way, Lara bumped into her.

Juliet smiled. "Hello - "

Lara shoved her into a closet and locked the door.

Juliet glared at the sudden action, "what are you doing?"

"I have to tell you something," Lara said breathlessly.

Juliet frowned. "What could it possibly - "

"I still love you," Lara said, intensely. "More than a friend. I want to be your girlfriend again." And then she kissed Juliet on the mouth.

It was a cold and wet kiss, desperate and yearning. Juliet broke away almost immediately.

Juliet gasped, "what are you doing?"

"I love you," Lara repeated, almost confusee, like maybe Juliet did not hear that part.

"Lara," Juliet said sadly, "please don't."

"I will never stop loving you," Lara said, her eyes filled with passion. "I can't stop thinking about you. I want to make you happy and keep you that way forever."

"But I don't love you that way anymore."

Silence.

Juliet said, guiltily, "I am sorry that I'm saying this, but it's true. I don't want to bring your hopes up just so that I feel guilt-free. I won't play with your feelings like that." Never again, she swore.

Lara whispered, "but I love you..."

"I'm sorry," Juliet whispered, but Lara had already left, crying.

Juliet felt horrible.

She walked slowly to the dining area. Alex was already sitting at a table. She got her lunch and slowly sat down next to Alex.