TEN

- Juliet's POV -

Juliet was making Chocolate Crousillant with a raspberry glaze. She hummed to herself as she did so, bobbing her head to My Chemical Romance singing 'Teenagers'. When she was done, she looked at it, satisfied. She place it on a glass cake stand (a simple one with no designs) and covered it. It looked lovely. She took the pie and went across the hall to Nyssa's. She knocked on her door.

The door opened, and Cain was there, grinning. "Hello Juliet. Have you come to confess your feeling of love towards me?"

"Sure. Why not." She peeked in. "Is Marie there?"

"I'm here!" She heard someone squeal.

"Bloody hell. Is Nyssa's living space the local meet-up for you lot?"

Cain shrugged. "Pretty much."

"What did you bring me?!" Marie asked excitedly, pushing Cain aside like he was a piece of garbage.

He looked offended at her. "Did you just do that to me, Marie?"

She ignored him and concentrated on the food in Juliet's hands. "What's that?"

"My god, let the girl in," Nyssa said.

They let her in and Cain closed the door behind her. Adam and Alex were sitting opposite to each other, face-to-face, and playing cards on the table separating the couches. They glanced at her.

She answered, "I made cake. This is for my outburst a few days ago. I'm...sorry," she muttered.

"What was that?" Adam asked, amused.

Juliet sighed sharply. "I'm sorry."

Nyssa took the cake and placed it on the kitchen counter. "Thank you, Juliet." She started cutting it and placing it on small plates. "Help me out, Marie."

Juliet sat next to Alex on the couch, and he stiffened. Juliet resisted rolling her eyes. Shd watched them play. It wasn't until she saw one of the cards properly that she said, "Are you playing karty?"

They both turned to stare at her. "Yes. Nathan taught us. How do you know?" Adam asked.

Alex muttered, "she's Slovak too, of course she knows, Adam."

Juliet shrugged, a true smile on her face. "Yes, but I used to play this game with my sister. I taught Nathan. The cards have the William Tell pattern, which is popular throughout the former Austro-Hungarian Empire. The Ober and Unter cards depict William Tell and other characters from Friedrich Schiller's Wilhelm Tell. The play's first Hungarian performance was in the early 1800s and the first decks were made by József Schneider of Pest around the 1830s." Juliet went on, "The characters from the drama were chosen to avoid censorship at the time of the Hungarian opposition to the Habsburg rule," she finished.

"How do you know all of this?" Cain asked incredulously.

Juliet shrugged. "I like knowing things. It's a weird habit. I'll learn everything useless and nothing useful." 

"I guess you're the crew's new genius," Nyssa laughed. "Adam will need a new position."

"He can be the backup genius," Cain said. He took a bite of the cake Juliet made, and then paused.

"Oh. My. God." He closed his eyes. "This is so fucking good."

"You look like you're in the middle of a passionate snogging session," Nyssa said, laughing. She and Marie passed the plates to everyone else.