THIRTEEN

- Juliet's POV -

SHE HAD HER hand in Alex's.

There's a sentence she never thought she'd say.

Juliet had to admit, Alex cleaned up well. In fact, he was the most handsome boy in the room.

He was also the quietest and the tallest boy in the room.

The ballroom was huge. Juliet's old home had changed quite a lot. She sighed when she saw a lot of people and recognised all of them. Great. Now she had to make small talk with them out of decency.

The second her uncle caught sight of her and grinned, his arrogant eyes glinting, his feet moving towards her, probably going to try and explain the infrastracture of Ashton Enterprises and how it was going to progress over the years, Juliet quickly turned and dragged Alex to the tables. "Just move. Don't ask questions," she rushed.

He didn't react and simply followed her. She smiled at the lady giving the table numbers. "Hi. I'm Juliet Ashton and this is Alexander Camden. Could you tell us the number of our table, please?"

"Of course, Miss Ashton, Mr Camden." She looks over the list and says, "Okay. So you both are at 13C and 13D. Enjoy your evening!"

They walked away and Alex muttered, "Who knew you were capable of being nice."

She elbowed him.

He didn't even wince. "If you're that violent in general, no wonder you're single."

"What makes you think I'm single?"

"Because you wouldn't have let me go with you if I had a girlfriend, which means that you wouldn't have gone with me if you had a boyfriend."

Juliet glanced at him. "At least there's a brain in there somewhere."

A smile smile flickered on his lips.

Juliet smiled too.

And then Aunt Julia ran into them.

"Shit," Juliet swore loudly.

Alex looked at her. Aunt Julia looked at her.

She cleared her throat and covered up by saying, "uh. I meant - shit, I forgot to find you and ask how you are, aunt Julia! And what a coincidence that you've found me!"

Aunt Julia beamed. "Juliet! Comment vas-tu, chéri?"

Juliet forced a smile and replied back in french. "Je vais bien. Et toi?"

"Je n'ai jamais été meilleur!"

"That's nice," Juliet said. Alex looked at her weirdly.

"Oh! We're being rude!" Aunt Julia smiled at Alex. "And you are?"

"Alex," he said curtly.

His rudeness did not faze her. "Alex what?"

"Alex Camden," he answered finally. He looked uncomfortable.

Her eyes brightened. "Oh! How lovely! Mason's son!" Her eyes narrowed a little bit. "But you don't look British. Are you the child Mason had with Mina Shang before he met his wife?"

Alex stared at her, his eyes looking hostile. "Yes."

Juliet smoothly changed the subject. "I think we're tiring poor Alex here to death. Have you seen the new clothes Versace's released? The spring collection? Isn't it gorgeous?!"

Aunt Julia grinned. "Yes! I wanted to buy the whole thing for myself!" She scrutinised Juliet's dress. "Why black? Isn't it a bit depressing?"

Juliet stared into aunt Julia's frosty blue eyes. "I'm wearing it in honour of the death of a very close loved one."