The sound of rain tapping on the house with thunder in the background only filled the silence for a short time. "That's a scary thought." Y/N attempted to laugh but cleared her throat. "People might think we're crazy because of the places we go to. And maybe they think that because they wouldn't know."

"Everyone already thinks I'm fucking crazy."
As I paused, I found a place to carefully stomp out my cigarette and light another match. "I guess we're also weird, huh?"

A small but adorable laugh escaped
Y/N. "That's a better term, I guess."

Again, a large roar of thunder much stronger than the others came about. It felt like it was enough to shake the ground.

"Shit," Y/N groaned.
The white light from her phone went out, signaling the drained battery. At the same time, my light went out once again. "You have your phone, right?"

"Forgot it," I said as I struck a match. Y/N bit her lip as there was another small rumble, a flash of lightning afterward. "Hey, don't worry we'll be okay. You are okay, right?"

Her shining smile that could've illuminated the place appeared again as she nodded. "Are you?"

The question was simple. I've been asked this before.

"Tell me the truth," Y/N's head tilted. Through the light of the match, her eyes showed concern.

I just shrugged. "A little. I'm just..."

Still not used to it.

"College and the future and stuff." I blew out a puff of smoke away from my girlfriend. I knew she hated it, even if her concerned self didn't show it. "Like, I know that it's gonna stress me out and shit. I know I wanna go and I wanna 'succeed in life' and all that. But with my goddamn luck, I'm gonna screw up one way or another. So what the hell happens then?"

During the silence that returned, I glanced back up, not realizing my view was on the flame. Y/N then spoke. "Everyone messes up," she chuckled. She tried her best to make the situation lighter. "Honestly Connor, I relate. But like, if you mess up, you can get back on track. You'll have the time to."

"And when the time's up, it's gone, huh?"

Y/N gave a small nod. "That's why time can be an ass."

"Or maybe you're just impatient?" I smirked.

Y/N laughed. "Both, I guess."

Through the rain, thunder, lightning, through the small and subtle winds rocking the surface, through probably everything in that short amount of times, we smiled and laughed.

And we stayed there till the last match ran out.

•••

The ground was still wet and muddy because of the rain from last night, but that didn't stop any of us from jumping around like idiots as we made our way along the old railroad tracks. I had to admit, it was actually pretty.
My mud-stained boots kicked at the countless pebbles as I heard Y/N catching up to me. Her hand was behind her back.

"Okay, what the hell were you doing?" I asked, stuffing my hands in my pockets. All I got back was a small giggle.

"Don't worry about it, I'll show it to you later." Y/N said.

"Show what?" I was definitely curious now and that cute but at the same time mischievous grin did not help. "Oh god, Y/N what is it?"

"Okay fine, if you're that impatient-"

"Says you!"

"Alright," She revealed her hand with a messy flower crown draped over her fingers. I gave her a questioning look as she explained, "There was a piece of string in my pocket, and we're around nature and shit! Well, not literally. I just wanted to."

"How the fuck do you have a piece of string in your pocket that can fit around someone's head?" I laughed as she tilted her head, her eyebrows raised. However, I couldn't say I never expected something like that.

As we continued on the trail, Y/N proceeded to fix up her creation and then held it out to be afterward. It was my turn to cock an eyebrow. "What?" I asked again.

"Put it on."

"Wait, what?"

"I wanna see how it looks on you." It was so obvious she was trying not to laugh.

"Are you serious?"

"Well, I'm not joking." And so before she said anything else, I took the damn flower crown and threw it on my head. I kept my face monotone as Y/N adjusted it with a smile. "Adorable."

I snorted, not believing it. "Really now?"

Pulling out her phone, she snapped a picture (or a couple) before I blocked out the camera. "Y/N!"

"Look!" Y/N held out her camera with a grin. There I was, looking more dead inside with a messy flower crown.

"How attractive," I said sarcastically. "Listen, if I find a goddamn bug in my hair later-"

"I'll buy you seventeen pounds of shampoo for that hair so don't worry about it."

A smile that I didn't know I was holding back appeared on my face. It always seemed like Y/N knew what to say, sarcastic comment or not.

We continued walking and caught up to Zoe and Evan, who knew a shit ton about trees. I had already taken off the flower crown that was falling apart quickly.

"Evan, we give you permission to use this place to write a tree book." I nudged him as he grinned shyly.

"Yea, uhm.. That's uh, kinda bold of you to assume I could write a book. I mean, I've written stuff before but they're um, actually pretty boring a-and unimportant."

"Evan, dude," Y/N placed a hand on his shoulder. "You can totally write a book. If that's what you wanna do, then you do it."

"And Y/N can be a motivational speaker." I smirked.

The look on her face which I could only describe as shock replaced a smile. "Oh god..."

I furrowed my eyebrows. Was that something I shouldn't have said?

"Hey, I was just-"

Y/N turned towards me. "No no, Con, it's not you."

Zoe, her expression nearly the same as Y/N's, was focusing on a group of guys.

They looked like regular college kids because of their university sweaters. Beers were in their hands and one was tossing around a cigarette pack. The group was familiar, and they usually hung around the track.

I thought it was normal, but everyone's expression said otherwise, so this was most likely gonna go to shit one way or another.