Nights in the City

2 months earlier..
"Hurry we are gonna be late!" Shay yelled.
I was still getting dressed in the next room.
"I'm going as fast as I can, the bars aren't going anywhere."
"The hot chicks are though. They are all being taken as we speak because I'm waiting on you! Can you get any slower?!"
I walked out of the bathroom attempting to zip up my dress and said "can you get any bossier?" She laughed,  "turn around." She zipped my dress and said "now can we go?" I grabbed my wallet and said "yes ma'am, lead the way."
I kissed Matt goodbye and followed Shay to the car.
"Before we go, how to I look?" She posed.
"Be honest gabby, this is life or death, single or relationship."
I rolled my eyes and said "you look stunning."
"Thank you, Thats what I was going for." I threw her the keys and we got in. We drove to some fancy lesbian bar and got some drinks. We scoped the room trying to find someone cute for Shay.
Our "nights in the city" usually consisted of me being hit on in lesbian bars, drinking crappy wine, and finding Shay her future wife. It always ending in us trashed, walking the city, taking horrible pictures of ourselves, and ending up at mine and Matt's house on the couch laughing obnoxiously while Matt makes us food.
"Oooo Shay, 10 o'clock, red head. She's cute."
"Ehh red heads aren't for me, She is cute though. What do you think of the brunette, short hair, she's cute right?"
"Yes, and she's looking right at you, go talk to her!"
"Pep talk?"
"You're a wonderful person, with the best personality, and you're funny. You're the full package. You got this."
"Nice. The pep talk needs a little work though. I'll be back."
Shay walked towards the girl and offered to buy her a drink. I got a refil on wine and checked my phone. I had a text from Matt, "Hope you are having fun. I miss you. What sounds good for snack?"
I smiled, "I really love you, you know that?"
"And I love you. I bought stuff for chicken alfredo and cookies."
"Both sound delicious."
"Both will be here waiting for you when you get home."
"I cant wait."
I watched as Shay migrated to a few other girls and talked. I don't think she was very interested in any of them. She eventually made her way back over to me and said "None of them are keepers. Let's go get drunk." We went to a different bar and ordered shots upon shots. Eventually the bars got boring so we walked around taking videos telling eachother how much we love one another. There was always a part of the night where we got sappy and cried and talked about everything. Neither us were very open people, but on nights like those, nothing was unsaid. She was the only person that knew all of my deepest darkest secrets. The one person who knew me inside and out. She knew when I needed a night in the city, she knew when I needed a pick me up, and was there to peel me off the couch in the deepest and darkest of times. Matt is the love of my life, but Leslie Shay is my soulmate. My best friend. I told her that in every video, I wish I said it more on the days we weren't drunk.

The present..
"Dawson, Shay, there's a victim on the first floor." We grabbed the medical bag and back board and went in. We assessed him, he was still breathing but deteriorating. I started bagging him as Shay got out the heart monitor. She hooked him up and grabbed for her radio.
"Casey, were gonna need some help carrying him out."
There was no response. He was a bigger built guy, so it would take a bit of work for us to get him on the back board and carry him out but I was sure we could do it. I finished hooking him up to oxygen and Shay said " So, what are your plans for the weekend?"
"I don't know. I'll probably just hang at home."
"You hang at home every day off. You need a night in the city."
"You mean you need a night in the city?"
"Well of course I need alcohol and hot girls, but you need it more. Minus the hot girls, that's for me. Look, I know you've been sad lately. You need a pick me up. Let's go out. Drinks are on me."
"Alright, I guess."
I tried to radio again. "Casey, severide, we need assistance on the first floor." There was still no answer. I thought up a plan and said, "Switch places with me, I push, you pull." We switched sides and she said "On my count. One.." Before we could even start pushing, there was an explosion. I was thrown back and hit my head. When I opened my eyes dust fell into them. I sat up coughing and wiping my eyes.
"Shay??"
I frantically searched for her. I pushed through the rubble and found her. She wasnt moving. I rushed to her side, using all my strength the pull the debris off of her. When I did I checked for a pulse. I couldn't find one. One second we were talking and the next, she wasn't breathing. I started chest compressions.
"Shay, wake up, please." I begged.
"You're gonna be okay, just open your eyes. Shay please, open your eyes."
I was sobbing. I was dizzy from my head wound, but the adrenaline kept me going. On the floors above, truck and squad were trying to find everyone and get out of the building before it collapsed more. They tried to radio to eachother but they still weren't working. Once everyone was located, they made their way down to the first level, that's were they found Shay and I. Matt ran to my side. He noticed the blood gushing from my head and said "gabby, let me take over. We have to get her out." I couldn't stop. He pulled me back, " gabby... it's okay. We got her." He held me back and a few guys lifted Shay and hurried her outside. I said " She wasnt breathing. She.. she.. she's not breathing.."