Arson

After telling Matt I was pregnant, we went inside to talk to Boden. We got him up to speed on what was happening with the fire that killed Shay and then he had Connie gather up all of 51 and meet in the common room. Everyone poured in and took their seats just as we walked in. Boden took a second before begining and with a heavy heart, he started.
"This is one of the hardest things I will ever have to say. It has come to our attention that the fire that killed one of our own, Leslie Shay, has been ruled arson."
Everyone started talking. Asking questions. Wondering what the hell was going on.
"Woah.. woah, everyone calm down and listen up." Chief said trying to settle them down. "I know you all want information, so do I. And I know all of you are upset, I am too. I'm furious. But the chicago Intelligence Unit is all over this. Whoever did this will be caught. For now, I need all of you to lay low. We will be sending your shift home and having the next come in early. Antonio Dawson seems to think this fire was an attack on 51, this shift specifically. So he thinks it'll be safest for everyone to be at home."
Herrmann said,"Chief, do we have to? I mean, if the person who did this hasn't done anything since- you know, do you really think they'll try anything now?"
"Antonio seems to think the person who did this has something planned," Chief said. "And he thinks its in all of your best interest to sit the next few shifts out. I agree. So this is an order. All of you are to go home."
Everyone was quiet. No one said a word and no one moved. No one could believe this was happening- that Shay was murdered, that we were all in danger.
"You're dismissed. Go home."
Everyone slowly got up and went their seperate ways. Then I got a call from Lindsay.
"Hey Gabby, it's Erin. Can you meet up?"
She texted me an address and Matt and I drove to her. When we got there, she was waiting for us. She was leaned up against her car talking on the phone. We got out and walked up to her just as she hung up. For some reason the house looked so familiar, but I couldn't figure out why.
"What is this place?" I asked.
"Follow me." Erin said.
We walked up the sidewalk and a couple steps that lead to the front door of a burnt up house. Erin tore the caution tape off the door and opened it up.
"This was the home of Edna Washburn. A 68 year old woman, widowed by ther late husband George. They both lived here together up until he passed away 4 years ago, and then it was just her. No kids, no family nearby that we know of, it looked like it was just the two of them."
As we walked through the house, we stepped over the mess that the fire left.
"A year ago, the place burnt down. The woman who lived here, Edna, didn't make it out. I looked at the report, when the house was looked over, 3 ignition points were found. Here, here, and there." She pointed to the 3 spots where the fire had been started. It left burn patterns on the walls that went up to the ceiling.
"Why'd you bring us here? What does this place have to do with Shay?" I asked.
"Does this place look familiar to either of you?" She asked.
"I thought so when we drove up, but I don't know why." I said. We followed her into the next room and suddenly it clicked. "Fully involved house fire, a woman was pulled out but she didn't make it."
"I remember now. Severide pulled her out." Matt said.
She pulled out her phone and showed us a few pictures. "This is what we found tacked to the wall yesterday." It was a news clipping of Shays obituary.
"So is all of this because someones trying to get revenge for what happened here a year ago?" I said.
"We're thinking so. When we looked over the fire where Shay died, we found the same type of setup where the fire was started. And leftover pieces of a homemade bomb. There's no doubt that all of this is connected."
"And why do you think whoever did this is planning to do something else?" Matt said.
"We made a drug bust yesterday on the corner of Oak and Ames street."
"The kings?" Matt said.
"Yeah. One of the guys we arrested asked for a deal saying he had some information we'd like to hear about an arsonist. I guess some guy, who he doesn't know the name of came to them a few days ago and was trying to see if they knew anyone who he could buy hundreds of dollars worth of accelerants from. And he wanted it delivered to this address. I guess the guy couldn't stop talking about how he was gonna take down firehouse 51 and the friends of Leslie Shay."
"Why didn't Antonio tell us any of this when we saw him?" I asked.
"He doesnt want you getting invested. Either of you. But I brought you here because I think you both could help us."
We went back to the station and met up with Antonio and Voight. Antonio gave shit to Lindsay for telling us everything, but I told him that he should've told us to begin with. If we were gonna catch this guy we all needed to work together. So Voight instantly put Matt and I to work. If this guy was setting fires and trying to kill members of 51 for the past year, there had to have been other fires he started. So we looked through all of the fires in the system, matched them with cases that arson flagged as suspicious and fire without cause and we recorded all of them onto a map. Red dots all over marking all the places in the past year that were believed to be arson and there was a pattern. All of those fires were in the same location, within a 100 mile radius of firehouse 51, and all of those calls were taken specifically by 51. And even more specifically, just our shift. Which was what they thought, but this was now actual proof that we were the target. Out of those 22 fires, there were 4 deaths, 1 including Shay. And out of those arson cases, none of them had any evidence that pointed towards anyone. The only thing in common was how the fire was started and what was left behind- the leftover pieces of a homemade bomb.
None of it made sense. If there was no known family around and the outcome of the fire was out of our hands, why was someone doing this? And more importantly, who was this man and what was his ties to Edna? At this point I was invested. I was driving myself crazy trying to think of ways we could find out who was doing this. Antonio reminded me it was a slow process when theres no suspects. And Matt tried to get me to slow down given my circumstances, but I wouldn't. I had to help find out who killed my best friend. Finally, my body started paying for it. Hours of being stressed and not stopping, and a wave of dizziness and nausea hit me. I finally sat down, and Matt rushed to my side to make sure I was okay. After a few minutes of sitting there I felt better and was ready to get back to it but Antonio ordered both Matt and I to go home. He thanked us for our help and told us that we had done all we could do for today. I was annoyed, but I agreed. I was overwhelmed, sad, tired, and stressed. And none of that was good for the baby. So the only place I needed to be in that moment was home relaxing. I knew that Antonio and the rest of the intelligence unit had it from here. Somehow, someway, they were gonna find this guy. And he was gonna pay for what he did to Leslie Shay.