Chapter 6

Charlotte's P.O.V

The first thing I hear is a beeping noise, the next thing...someone crying. I tried to open my eyes but I couldn't, I tried talking but that apparently wasn't an option. I was awake, yet I wasn't. I felt a little hand grab hold of mine and squeezed. I wanted to squeeze back but I couldn't find the strength.

"Please open you eyes Lottie, please." It broke my heart to hear my sisters voice, it was so weak, fragile. I didn't want to be the cause of that, she shouldn't have to be sitting here. I tried opening my eyes again but there was no point, I wasn't in control of my body. Soon after I felt the little hand slip out of mine, and I heard little pitter patters going farther away from the bed. I also heard the sound of heels coming towards it.

"She only did this for attention, but it's not going to work." My mothers voice was very distinguishable. Of course she thought that, why did I think she would have thought something different. Just as I thought that I heard someone voice what I was thinking,

"why would you say that? Your daughter is laying in a hospital bed. She almost died!"

"She is doing this to get my attention, she has no friends so who would miss her, so that has to be the only reason. Who are you anyways, you shouldn't be here."

"If you know the fucking reason then why aren't you doing anything to change that? I don't understand, you see that she intentionally hurt herself, she is laying in that bed like a corpse. Yet you don't change the way you think, what kind of mother are you?"

"You never answered my question, who are you?"

"You never answered mine."

"Young man-"

"My name is Luke, I am Charlotte's friend." Luke? He was here? But how did he know where I was? There was so many questions running through my head. I tried to say his name but I couldn't, for some reason I wasn't able to. I hated not being in control of my body, I didn't like this. My hearing started to go and I heard the only constant noise in my room become less and less. My body going back to its natural sleep.

Luke's P.O.V.

"Young man I know that you were the one who called the ambulance for my daughter but I don't think that qualifies you as a friend. She has never talked about you, I didn't even know you existed in her life."

"Well ma'am I've only started being her friend for a week." Talking to Charlotte's mom was one of the most difficult things I have ever faced. She pursed her lips and gave a slight nod, then she turned on her heel and left. A sigh escaped my lips, I don't know how Charlotte deals with her. I look at the body laying on the bed, if it wasn't for the barely noticeable rise and fall of her chest she would look lifeless. I grabbed her cold hand and sat in the chair that was next to her bed. I can't believe she did this to herself, I can't believe I didn't do anything about it. I saw the scars, I should have said something, this shouldn't have happened. I hadn't noticed that a tear had escaped my eye until I felt it drip onto our hands. I know we haven't been friends for long but I couldn't help but feel emotionally connected to her. Her story, though I don't know exactly what it might be, from what I've seen, I could relate to, I've been through.

It quickly became dark out, so I decided that is was time for Michael and I to go home. I offered Ania to sleep over our house but she didn't want to leave her sister. The drive home was silent, Michael was staring out the window the entire time.

"You okay buddy?"

"I just don't understand why bad things happen to good people." My heart tugged when he said that. I don't say anything after that because I know that there is a double meaning behind that. He's not just talking about Charlotte's situation. When we arrived home Michael went straight to his room without a word, this problem weighing heavy on him.

It felt so cold in the house. It has been feeling like that lately, I think my brother feels it too. I sigh and try to rid my mind of the thoughts that were coming up. I've kept the past down for so long, afraid of the pain that comes with thinking about it. Afraid of breaking down and struggling to put the pieces back together. I had to stay strong, if not for myself then for Michael. That kid has gone through so much already. I don't need to add more on his plate. What has happened today was a trigger for us both. It triggered things we both ignored.

I made Michael some chicken and potatoes and brought them to his room. He was lying on his bed looking at the ceiling. I can tell that this was bothering him. He's only seven years old, something this heavy shouldn't be in his life.

"Hey bud, I brought you some dinner." He didn't even acknowledge my presence, he continued to stare at the ceiling. I put the food down on his nightstand and sat on his bed, I saw a couple of drops leak from his eyes.

"You alright?" At this he turned his head and looked at me, his eyes holding so much pain and sadness. He sat up, taking his bottom lip in between his teeth, trying to stop the wobbling it has been doing. He brought his knees to his chest and wrapped his shaky hands around them. I put my hand on his shoulder and he finally broke down.

"I don't understand Luke, I just don't. Why does bad things happen to good people? What did Charlotte do to deserve this? She is so nice and kind and sweet. I don't understand Luke. Mom and dad also didn't deserve that but look what happened to them. I lost them and now I'm going to lose a friend too." He stopped talking and began to hyperventilate, years of pain finally coming out. I picked him up and set him on my lap, I held him against my chest, never letting go. We stayed like that for a while, even after he calmed down. Soon Michael feel asleep. Not wanting to leave him I lay down on his bed and kept him on my chest. I thought about everything my brother had said. I knew he still thought about our parents but I didn't think he thought about what happened to them. I mean, he's never brought it up once, we talked about it when it happened but that was it. I closed my eyes letting sleep take over with the thought Charlotte and my parents on my mind.  

____________________

Please vote and comment <3