Chapter 4

Charlotte's P.O.V

The next two days went by in a blur, it was as if it was just one long day. I woke up, did whatever work my mother left for me, added a couple of scars to my collection and spent the night listening to my sister talk. She had told me, on the second day, that Michael said that Luke wanted him to ask her if I was feeling any better. I knew that when I go to school today I would have to tell him that we couldn't be friends. I don't want to lead him on; mind you he had a lot of friends, I saw them hanging in the hallways when he isn't rushing to a class. So it didn't really matter if I was his friend or not, I'm sure he would just forget about me.

I put on my staple outfit, grabbed my bags and head downstairs. My mother was in her usual spot, this time she wasn't on her phone.

"I'm coming home at six tonight, there's a meeting I can't get out of. Make sure you come straight home after school. If I find out that you don't then...well, you already know your punishment." I didn't say anything to that, I didn't want to piss her off even more. My sister was waiting for me outside, it was colder which means winter was approaching. It can be a magical time but also a horrible one. My sister and I love Christmas, we don't get many presents but that doesn't matter, we just loved the idea of the hope and joy that it brings. At the same time it's horrible because we have to walk to school...even in a blizzard. That witch doesn't care.

As Ania and I approached her school I noticed that she was getting happier as we approached the gate. There waiting was Michael, he had a goofy smile on his face and was waving his arms in the air excitingly. Ania gave me a quick hug bye and ran off to go meet him. A smile had made its way onto my face. Seeing her happy like that was something I haven't seen in a long time. It was a nice change and I'm glad things are going well for her. I just hope that he doesn't stop being her friend after he notices that she can't hangout with him on weekends or after school.

As I walked to my school I thought about how I was going to tell Luke that we can't be friends. I didn't want to make it a big deal, it wasn't a big deal, so I just decided to tell him straight up. Then my mind wandered off, as it usually does. I thought about how Luke is going to be better off without me in his life, how everyone is better off without knowing me. Then the very familiar feeling came. It was a feeling that felt like my heart was being squeezed and my stomach had a big pit. It was the feeling of loneliness and I hated it. It was the worst thing I have ever felt. I know I say that people are better of without getting to know me, and that's true, but at the same time I feel so alone in the world. I was so deep in thought that I didn't realize that I was in front of my favourite class. I tried to get rid of the thoughts as I walked in but I couldn't. That's one thing I hated, once I start thinking it feels like it will never stop. I hadn't noticed the blonde boy that took the seat next to me. I didn't even realize when he said hi. I stopped thinking when he tapped me on the shoulder and gave me a questioning look. Keeping my eyes on the front of the class I just shook my head. I saw from the corner of my eye that he wanted to ask more but was interrupted by the teacher starting the lesson.

When class ended I tried to go to my next class as fast as I could, so that I could avoid Luke but that was inevitable. As soon as I got through the door I felt someone grab onto my arm.

"What's wrong?" I just shook my head and tried to get my arm out of his grasp.

"Common Charlotte, just tell me." I finally looked him in his very worried eyes. I shook my head again.

"Please Charlotte." I took a deep breath and the words that I didn't want to say came out, "We can't be friends."

That took him by surprise and he had loosened his grip on my arm. I took that chance to break free and go to my next class, not looking back because if I did I would go back and tell him I didn't mean it. I honestly didn't think he would have taken it bad, it's not like we spent months talking, we didn't even spend a day talking, it was probably an hour. I tried to shake of this weird feeling and got through the rest of my day.

As usual I went to go pick up Anna and she asked if we could go to the park again. Our mother said that she would be home at six tonight but I knew for a fact that she asked our neighbour to watch and see when we come home. Ania was sad but she was used to it. She told me about her day and how Michael and her played all the time at recess. We passed by the park and there were a lot of kids playing today. But, just as we were going to completely pass it, a pair of familiar blue eyes locked with mine. I quickly looked away and walked a little faster.

"Charlotte! Charlotte wait!" I knew who that voice belonged to and I didn't want to stop so I grabbed Ania's hand and started to run home. She didn't question why I was doing this but just did what I said.

"Please Charlotte I just want to talk." I looked behind me and saw Luke running after us, behind him was little Michael and he looked as though he would pass out from the running, more like sprinting, we did. For his sake I slowed down and came to a stop, but I didn't turn around.

"Please look at me." I didn't listen.

"Fine, you don't have to look but can you at least tell me why you said that, I don't understand." I knew he deserved an explanation but I couldn't give him one. I turned around but my focus was on the ground. I slowly looked up at him.

"Please tell me." I shook my head. His eyes held a silent plea. I took a deep breath and said, "we just can't."

"But why? You can't just tell me that we can't be friends and not tell me the reason why, that's not fair!" I knew he was starting to get frustrated but I had to hold my ground. I couldn't let him in.

"Please believe that this is for the best."

"No this is bs Charlotte and you know it. There's got to be a reason, a legitimate reason. I don't understand, why can our brother and sister be friends and not us?" He had a point there, but I wasn't going to do that to my sister, she deserved a friend. Without saying anything I just turned around and continue my walk home, Luke and Michael trailing behind. 

__________________________

Please vote and comment <3