Chapter Twenty-Four

The warm afternoon sun lightly heats my skin as I sprawl across the plush pool chairs

The warm afternoon sun lightly heats my skin as I sprawl across the plush pool chairs. My eyes snap open when I hear oncoming footsteps. Angela appears by my side with a small smile on her lips.

"You look like you need one of these." She hands me a fruity cocktail, then takes a seat on the pool chair beside me.

"Damn! Do I really look that bad?" I sigh.

"No, of course not." She quickly shakes her head.

I remove the straw and chug down the red liquid. My nose wrinkles as the strong taste of gin and cranberry hit my taste buds. Angela's eyes go wide before she chuckles.

"I wasn't going to ask . . . Well, Thomas told me not to ask." She sighs. "But how are things going with Tori and the court case? Blake hasn't mentioned anything and he looks . . . I'm just worried."

I glance at Blake who's standing beside the pool talking to Thomas about something. Thomas is smiling at something he's said but Blake looks blank. He wasn't excited about coming to the barbeque because of the court case, but it's another chance to see London and that's precious time right now.

Angela settles into the chair and sips on her drink. I wish these glasses were a little bigger, especially for this conversation.

"The DNA results were just submitted to the lab. Once they come back and the results are read, I can then submit to have partial custody. Depending on the ruling and time, we could submit the claim during the DNA result reading and have an answer or be stuck waiting. It's a freaking mess."

"Damn it!" she grumbles. "I wish the court could see the home they're taking London away from and what she's going into."

"Yeah, I wish the court would see that. But hey, that just makes things too easy and life doesn't work like that. I just . . . I don't mind the stress if things are going to work out. I hate this limbo – I hate how it's tearing Blake apart."

Angela takes a long sip from her drink and glares. "I never liked Tori! It's hard to be a good parent. You want them to learn their own lessons, even if it's the hard way, but you also want to keep them safe from the world."

"I can agree with that." I chuckle.

"You never stop being a parent, and I'll never forgive her for what she's done."

"And neither will I." I shake my head.

"On the bright side, at least you can fight for London. With you as her Aunty, she's got an actual chance to grow into a beautiful young woman. We don't need any more Tori's in the world." Angela rolls her eyes.

"Oh goodness, we don't."

I've always wanted to see the best in people but after everything I've been through, it's hard to see any good in her. She only brings pain. I can't blame her for everything because I was stupid enough to be sucked into her web of lies.