75

"Has it really only been a year?"
Joel looked away from the flames back down at me and kissed my forehead. After hours of just being wrapped in each other, Joel finally relented in my request to get a blanket and pillows to decorate the floor as a makeshift bed. The fur of the rug and blanket he found tickled my skin as we just laid together in our bubble. Anniversary. On this night, a year ago, I met Joel. His hand lazily rubbed up and down my back as I traced one of the tattoos on his chest. "Three hundred and sixty-five days of that smart ass mouth," he teased. "Thousands more to go."
I smiled trying to hide the blush that rose on my cheeks. To know that he planned on a forever with me at his side was all I ever wanted. Even if it was just us. "How do I face Eric again..?" I asked softly.

"My father has a lot to answer for," Joel said firmly.

I sat up, "I think we should speak to him."

"I don't want you near any of my family members-"

"Valentine is planning a coup. This is not the time to be petty, Joel."
Joel closed his eyes for two heartbeats then sat up. It took a lot of self control to keep my eyes trained on his face. When my eyes begun to drop he slipped a hand under my chin, tilting my head up to look at him. All trace of humor was gone and I knew he didn't want this to be a discussion. I bit my lip. "Do you think that I can't protect you from Valentine?" he asked.
"This has nothing to do with that-"
"Answer the question."
I touched the side of his cheek and he leaned into my hand, keeping his eyes on me. "If there's anyone I know that can protect me its you," I said quietly. "But he's not just attacking me. He's attacking the family."
Joel opened his mouth to say more when my phone started to ring in my pile of clothes at the same time that Joel's did. We looked at each other before turning to our phones and I watched my phone blink with Mitchie's name. I peeked at Joel who was yelling in a hushed tone before sliding my thumb across the screen. "Ryder."

"Where are you?!" she shouted in my ear causing me to cringe.

"I'm with Joel-"

"You need to come to the base immediately. Valentine arrested Thomas and Jude a few minutes ago and when Eric stepped forward both sides started fighting!" I heard a crash in the background and jumped up on my feet looking at Joel who tossed me my pants. He was already dressed and ready to go. Whoever called Joel told him the same thing. I threw him my phone as I pulled on my clothes, hearing him speak quickly for them to get the team together. With the last flick on my shirt, I turned to Joel, "We don't have our equipment or gear."
Joel grabbed my face and pressed a quick kiss on my lips. "You have your training. You have your abilities and you will be with me," he said firmly. "Don't leave my side, Justine."
"I won't."

-

We saw the fire first. The flames engulfed everything and spread across the lawn beyond the gates. I was out the car before Joel stopped and knelt next to a group of assassins tending to the wounded just outside. There were scattered bodies everywhere with people trying to treat them. My heart dropped to my stomach as the scene in front of me finally registered. One of the men looked up in my direction and they started to whisper among themselves. The people on the yard belonged to the Mason and Almassy factions. I felt a hand on my back as Joel appeared next to me analyzing the scene. "Where are the others?" his voice boomed across the yard.
"They are still inside, Captain."
Joel's face darkened as he looked back at the building. I looked back at the group in panic then at Joel. All of them are still in there. What could they possibly be in there for?!

"The General wouldn't leave until everyone was out but then something happened and everyone within range was thrown out of the building," Someone answered my unspoken thought. Of course Eric wouldn't leave without the rest of the factions. But the others...
Joel looked at me and I nodded. "Get everyone in the vans and go to the Almassy mansion," Joel ordered. Everyone started moving at once. I looked up at Joel, "Why-?"