One

Her thoughts play in my head. "Hey, did I tell you Missy got that job at the car dealership?"

Her voice follows like a recording of what I've already heard. "Hey, did I tell you Missy got that job at the car dealership?"

I force myself not to respond until she's done saying her thoughts out loud. "No, you didn't." Not unless you count the fact, I pulled it from your head a moment before the words escaped your lips.

I have a headache today. Lately, I've been having a hard time controlling whatever the hell this ability is that I have. I'm irritated, and Trish can tell. I know because she's about to ask me what's wrong.

"Al, what's wrong?" She calls me by my nickname. My real name is Alice.

"Nothing," I lie, "just another headache. I think I'm gonna take off." I stand up and grab my purse.

Trish's blue eyes scan my face quizzically. She purses her pink-stained lips while brushing a stray strand of blond hair from her face. She thinks, "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure," I reply before I realize she's yet to say anything.

She shivers. "Uh, it's so weird when you do that..."

Fuck...

"I'm sorry, BFF connection and all." She seems satisfied with the explanation of my weird behavior.

"Well, I hope you get better. Call me later, okay?" She gives me a thousand-watt smile and stands to hug me.

I tightly embrace her in return. "I will."

I turn and make my way to my car. I get in, put the key in the ignition and sit, reveling in the wave of peace and relief from the silence that settles inside my head. As I inhale deeply through my nose and exhale through my mouth, the incessant throbbing of my head dissipates a little. I continue to breathe deeply in silence.

I feel like crap for bailing on Trish. It's been so long since we hung out. I even made the trip to Schaumburg to meet up with her at a cafe near her office job.

What a waste of gas...

I start the car and the radio comes on. Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve will play next.

The DJ's voice booms, "Coming up next, we have a classic by The Verve, Bittersweet Symphony, as requested by Julia in Skokie."

I told you...

I drive to my apartment in the Edgewater neighborhood on the Northeast side of Chicago. During my drive, song after song play in my head, before they pop up on the radio station. I don't mind this part so much, it's a cool party trick. It would be, if I ever went to one.

I finally pull up in front of my apartment building and park. Walking up the five cement steps to the entrance of the building, I type in the code to unlock it. I step into the communal hallway that contains the building's mailboxes, checking mine before heading up to my apartment. As I do, a wave of thought hits me. "Shit, she looks so damn hot today."

I blush as I turn to face Avery, one of my neighbors, and my hallway flirtation since he moved in nine months ago.

Avery smiles as he runs a hand through his long, dark, loose curls. His blue-gray eyes scan my body, as his lustful thoughts hit my mind. My head throbs again, and I feel dizzy. I sway and brace myself against the wall lined with mailboxes.

Avery rushes towards me and holds me up by my waists. His hard body feels so good, and he smells fresh out of a shower. Now, not only is my head throbbing, but there's also a throbbing between my legs.